Gasket sealant for fuel pump gasket

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I`ve had the fuelpump diaphram out onece before on this old Solo outboard,and it sealed fine,but I put a inline filter in today,and just loosened the screws to allow any trash to flush out before it reached carb and it wouldn`t seal this time.The paper part of the gasket won`t seal.their is a little trace paper stuck to the upper metal side.No new parts are available.I tried cleaned it a little but just won`t hold,can anybody think of any sealant that just a little might help seal?I have the best advance sealants,according to label,that resists gas.It is a soft non harding permatex dark gray sealant,but I know gas is about impossible to seal.Think it might work?I don`t think any RTV silicone would work here.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gasket sealant for fuel pump gasket

RTV is no good with gas. Can't you make a new gasket? I know nothing about your Solo, so have to plead ignorance.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It`s the paper bonded to the diaphram.I know of any way to do that.I may need to think of some other way to pump the gas from the inboard tank.Gravity flow just dosen`t supply enough gas for anything over 1/2 throttle.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your pump uses a pulse port hose there are any number of pumps you could adapt to your motor.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No hose,the carb cast intake has the upper part of pump cast with it,just threaded for 4 screws.I`m screwed,ain`t I!I`m trying now to seal with the Permetex.I wonder if the old Indian Head gasket shelack(can`t spell a lick)
might work?I haven`t seen it for years.

CATransplant

Admiral

Shellacs are alcohol soluble, I'm afraid.

You might consider the fuel-proof dope used on model airplanes. Since I believe those engines run on methyl alcohol and oil, that might be adequate. I believe I'd do a couple of coats on both sides of the gasket, followed by a wet coat during assembly. It might work.

I'm sure there's a Permatex product that will also work, but I don't know which one.

Dizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used my fuel resistant Permatex,and it seems to be holding fine.The way my fuel pump sucks air right below my carb intake,it would have to be sealed or I would loose vacum,must be the reason it was so hard to start on the lake last night.it started in 3 pulls today cold,a 1st for this motor.