1975 Evinrude 135 carberator jets

seifer

Cadet
I have a 135hp Evinrude that was running too lean, I took it to a shop and the mechanic their bored out the jets; now it's running to rich. Also today I found a small kink in my fuel line that the mechanic didn't even notice which is why the engine probably seemed to running too lean. Any way my question is where can I buy new jets for my engine? Are they by any chance part of the carburetor kit? I kind of want to take my carburetor appart and clean/ rebuild it now anyway, any suggestions?

It seems to stall a lot when I give it power from idle; I?m hoping the small kink was the issue. And now it also is hard to start, I?m thinking the engine keeps flooding due to it being too rich.

Thanks,
Daryl

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Evinrude 135 carberator jets

The jets would be available thru a Evinrude or Johnson dealership. They are not part of a carburetor kit.

seifer

Cadet

I've never done this before, but from what I can tell my engine has an upper and lower carburetor, does this mean that I have to buy 2 carburetor kits, or does the one kit accommodate for this? I also take it that I have to buy two upper and lower idle jets (two of each), two floats ect... I hope I'm correct on this, I'm just not sure about the kit since I haven't seen anything saying what the contents of the carburetor kit is (I take it that it's all the common seals needed).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the kit is for 1 carb, jets, floats not included. but you float is plastic and should be fine.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need two carb kits 439076, one for each carb. Your carb has both high speed and low speed jets. There is one high speed jet and one low speed jet for each carb throat. You need a total of 4 of each for the engine. 320661 (61c) is the high and 317473 is the idle jet. It is not a good idea to drill jets. They are specially machined by the factory, and drilling them upsets the factory surface and may cause flow problems. Each carb kit should include the float.

seifer

Cadet

All of my parts finally came; So on the weekend I rebuilt my carbs. Unfortunately I do not have a float template so I installed the floats with the factory setting, which left the float sitting flat (0deg horizontal) with the carb inverted. My old floats used to sit slightly at a downward angle. I also adjusted the float drop to be 1" from what I read in the engine repair manual is that it should have a 7/8" to 1 1/8" drop. From what I understand is from the way my float sits the float bowl should fill up with more gas and run a little richer, is this correct? Also when I took the engine out for a test run the engine was stalling at an idle (when it wasn?t stalled you could hear it coughing and wanting to stall) and would almost always try to stall when I gave it gas, but once I got the throttle to the higher range it was running fine. From what I understand this means that my low speed jet is running too lean and needs to be board out a little? right now it's sitting at 0.029 (thousandths of a inch) and my boat will be used at an altitude of 1100ft - 3500ft depending on the lake around here.

Any help would be appreciated.
Daryl.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked

The slow speed jets can be enlarger to .031 . DO NOT exceed .031 . This should cure the idle problem.

CARDNAL98

Cadet

I Have 1975 135 Hp Outboard Your Low Speed Jets Are .30 And High Speed Jet Is .61 Hope This Will Help

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

How is the idle? It is 650 in gear, sitting normally in the water? If the idle is too low, it will want to stall. You may need to sync and linc it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

This post is over two (2) years old!