Evinrude Triumph 55 1969

benjaminok

Cadet
Hello all.

I have just gotten a new boat, which came with this Evinrude 55HP 1969
# 55973A which is hydro-electric as far as i found out.
However i have some trouble starting it and making it run.
Sometimes the motor starts and will run for approx. 15-20 secs and then dies (at idle speed, have tried shifting to reverse or forward and rev the motor up, but that does not change anything.)
Compression shows:
Spark on all three cylinders, however have only testet with plug against powerhead as i did not have my sparktester handy.

Previous owner told me that gas in tank was new, will try to change to fresh gas, however since the motor runs for 20 sec i guess it should not be "old" gas? Will also try to change plugs, however i think the problem is something else.

The motor dies quite slowly, like starving and not getting fuel, but plugs are wet. Also i noticed that slow speed needles were set at 1/4 turn, however i see that they should be adjusted to 1 1/2 initial setting.

Any other thoughts on how to troubleshoot this vintage?
Your inputs are as always very much appretiated!

Well just saw that initial setting for slow speed needle is supposed to be 5/8 turn acc. to manual.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Triumph 55 1969

Testing the spark across the plugs laid on the head is wortless. You need to see if they will jump at least 5/16" gap on that one. Most of them are a little weak by the time it makes it through the distributor, so you may be able to get by with a little less. If you are still trying to run the surface gap plugs that came with the motor, trash them and put in L77JC4 or QL77JC4 gapped at .030-.040.

That motor has ignition points. The need to be gapped to exactly .010"

The other thing is carburetors. They gotta be clean and adjusted properly. Once it dies, what do you have to do to get it restarted? If you have to squeeze the primer bulb, it is obviously running out of gas (fuel pump or leak in the lines).

benjaminok

Cadet

Once it dies, what do you have to do to get it restarted? If you have to squeeze the primer bulb, it is obviously running out of gas (fuel pump or leak in the lines).

It seems that i only have to prime, after trying to crank the engine & applying choke for some time. Once the engine fires up, the bulb stays hard.
I think it more seems that the motor gets to much fuel.

Well will try to check the above, expecially the carbs and spark-gap.

benjaminok

Cadet

Checked spark with tester and spark would easily jump the 5/16 gap, even more...autchhhh LOL. Checked the fuelpump, which was supplying a steady stream.
Cleaned the carbs, nevertheless they looked nice and clean.
Changed tank to fresh fuel, changed all fuellines in system and set low speed needle to 5/8 turn.
After that the engine fired right up and ran at idle "almost" perfect for 10 minutes until i shut it off.
Will look further into the final carb adjustment tomorrow & (change plugs from NGK to L77JC4 which should be available tomorrow) and hopefully take her for a ride.

Have 2 questions!
1.) Since this engine is equipped with rectifier & stator etc, does the motor "use" the battery while running? or would it actually charge the battery?
2.) The boat is equipped with an old tacho, i suppose this was used together with the engine, however everything is disconnected now. I found 2 ? cut wires in the controlbox? Which cables would i need to connect to the tacho to get it running?

Thanks for your help!

benjaminok

Cadet

After not beeing able to work on the boat for some days a yesterday took her down to the ramp.
Couldn?t get the motor running. Pumping the primer bulb seemed not to pump fuel ? Bulb and hose is new. Once i take of the Carb silencer and open the upper carb drain screw in front i found the top carb empty. Pumping the primer bulb once screw is removed will fill up the carb and the motor will fire up and run very roughly.
How comes that i have to remove the drain screw in order to pump the carbs full? Once it runs (runs roughly) the primer stays hard and fuel pump is defininatly working.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Time to tear into that carb. ,and,replace all the fuel lines on the motor.
Sounds like a sticking float(closed),since you have to open the drain screw before the fuel will flow.
Probably got some trash in there,as well.

Was the primer bulb not picking up fuel(soft),or,was hard,like the carb was full or a fuel line was pinched/clogged ?

Replace all the fuel lines on the motor,and,try a different,known good,primer bulb and hose.
I have seen brand new bulbs and lines that were trash within a few weeks!
The pieces of these rotting lines can clog a carb. pretty effectively.

Also,just because the fuel pump has a "good flow",doesn't mean that the pump is good.
It might pump a nice VOLUME with no resistance,but,cannot deliver sufficient pressure to supply the carb. .

Fuel line and carb. first,then,take a long look at that fuel pump if you still have problems.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

the carbs have small passages that are almost impossible to get a good cleaning without a good soaking,you can buy a solution to soay at leading auto stores,after soaking I like to blow through all passages and parts using a spray cleaner,I agree with the sticking float,you should at least buy new needle and seat kits assuming the floats and gaskets are all ok.The motor will charge the battery,it could also run without a battery connected ,again,assuming all work ok,did you find a grey wire,?that is the pulse for the tach,purple would be accessory blk gnd,blue for a lite

benjaminok

Cadet

Thanks for your replies so far...
I will check the carbs and try to clean them properly. I suspect the primer bulb to be weak, as it stays soft while priming. Once opening the drain of the upper carb, it easily pumps and fills the carb.
Also i managed to let it idle for app. 10 minutes, which i think should indicate that the needle should be working?
I have changed all fuellines already and set the initial slow speed setting to 5/8 turn according to the manual.
I noticed something strange while it idled roughly. Holding my hand in front of the middel carb would rev the engine heavily.. Wouldnt that indicate that the motor is getting way to much fuel? Also i think it is strange that it sometimes startes quite easily and other times is totally impossible to start..
Spark was good (at least while testing), same was compression..

PhillyJoe

Recruit

Had a similar problem with my motor earlier this year. Would run and then die. Would have trouble getting it started, check plugs and they were soaked. Dry them, get it started and then die. Read a post on another site from a person with same problem. He took it to a mechanic and it was the carburetor. The mechanic said that since ethanol was added last year, he has rebuilt over 150 carbs. Also, best bet is to change the fuel hoses if you arent sure if they are ethanol compatible. I ordered a kit and rebuilt my carb and it is running like a champ.