Hours. What is high? What is low?

thumpar

Admiral
Can someone give me a comparison between hours on a boat and miles on a car. I am somewhat new to boat ownership. This is mostly out of curiosity. And I know that it is not a meter as to how it was run/maintained but it is at least some indication of usage. When I got my boat it had about 430 hours on the meter, now about 468 and change.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hours. What is high? What is low?

Getting a thousand hours out of a gas boat engine shouldn't be to difficult. The next 500 hours can be tough. The only way you'll get to 1500 or more is with real good maintenance throughout the engine's life. Obviously age and amount of time sitting will also play into this.

thumpar

Admiral

Well it is an 83 2.5l merc alpha 1. It still pulls 4200 rpm WOT with a 17p prop. I am friends with someone who knows the original owner and have a little history from that. I know that it was well maintained before and I am doing the same. I was just wondering where I am at. I am more familiar with cars.

Bondo

Staff member

I know that it was well maintained before and I am doing the same. I was just wondering where I am at.

With Proper Maintance,............

2000hrs. is Not out of the Question..............

tommays

Admiral

Well now

My 03 truck has and hour meter ,it is at 1850 hours for 58000 miles

My boat motors have always out lasted my truck motors with 28 years of skiing being the record :D Now it still ran but was just generally tired

Tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........

That must be all that City Traffic you live in Tommy,......

Your Hours is about Twice as high as Mine would be for those Miles/ Hours.......