Water Flow Sensor...any such thing??

I've been reading alot about water and cooling problems. Most problems seem to be related to or the cause of a lack of water flow from the outdrive to the circulating pump. The temperature gage is unreliable without any water in the cooling system. A water sensor, along with the temperature gage, would be a good indication of cooling water available to avoid causing any damage.

Is there any type of a sensor I can install to see if water is flowing to the circulating pump on the engine? I'm thinking of something that I could insert into the inlet hose to the circulating pump with a light connected and installed on the dash to alert me of no water. Better yet, a flow rate meter. Or the simplest solution, a clear water hose I can examing while the engine is running. Anything like this available on the boating or automotive market?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Water Flow Sensor...any such thing??

A water pressure guage installed in the raw water pump line would be the simple way to go

And is very common on outboard motors

Tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Flow Sensor...any such thing??

There are aftermarket flow alarms out there. They are usually installed just after the raw water pump, before the water gets to the engine. You wouldn't want it on the cirulation pump, because there is no water flow thru the engine when the thermostat is closed.