40 HP Evinrude Selectic Shift Help

Upon reading some of the forums my motor must be the Selectic Shift because it only has one control arm for throttle. I have the wiring diagram for this motor but it only shows power going from key to a box called "Leads to shift selector" with three wires. One wiring being power the other two go into a knife switch then into a forward or reverse shift solenoid. Do I just need have a toggle switch that puts power one key is on to either solenoid? Also, what does the knife switch do right in front of the solenoid? My direct email is jvsali@hotmail.com

Thanks tons

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP Evinrude Selectic Shift Help

What is the model number of that engine?

NOTE.... NOne of the following is meant to be critical, just informative so bear with me.

When you mention "Knife Switch", do you mean knife connector whereas that knife connector enables one wire to be connected to another?

The selectric shift engines do not have solenoids but rather incorporate electromatic coils that when engaged cause a spring to be drawn over and against a hub that's splined to the propshaft.

I cannot place/imagine a knife switch or connector in front of any solenoid or electromatic coil. Please explain.

A toggle switch can be used as shift switch BUT that is quite dangerous. THis type switch has no safety and it would be possible to start in gear and/or to shift from or into gear at a high rate of speed.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Joe,
I sent BeachBum wiring diagrams for his engine. The terms knife switch and shift solenoid are used by Clymer manuals. They use other similar terms like shift clutch coils and knife disconnect.
I would think he should get the proper controls for an electric shift motor.

phoneguy925

Cadet

well i solved the safety issue for replacing the shift selector switch and starting in gear there are 5 wires involved in the existing switch 2 white one purple and a blue and green by incorparating a 3 position pull switch and a normaly oppen relay i used the neutral leg to power the relay so now the green wire goes to the switc and splice a wire into the green wire for the power leed of the relay and the two wite wires go across the contact for the relat and ground the negative side and the engine will only start in neutral