Pics of outboard on jackplate?

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was hoping for some help:

I am putting a 1976 merc 150 on a bayliner 17'. Well I want to use this manual jackplate so I can fine tune the motor height.

Since it is also about a 6" setback, so the steering cable angles too much and won't hook up.

I'd like to see some pics of other setups and look at routing and other things like are there angle adapters etc.

If anyone could take a moment or two and post a pic of their setup I would greatly appreciate it.

Also open to any ideas.

Thanks

Attachments

• ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Pics of outboard on jackplate?

Can you pull the steering cable out of the splashwell any more than it is? Generally there is a good bit of extra cable routed through.

I could take a picture of my setup on the jackplate for you, but I have hydraulic steering so it won't be of any use. My plate has 10" of setback and everything worked fine, there was enough extra everything to move it with no problems.​

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have my '77 Merc 1500 on one of those jackplates. First of all you will need to drill the jackplate to accept the engine and PTT bolts, since they were not standardized in 1976. I would check with the manufacturer of the jackplate to make sure your motor will fit. I bought a T-H Marine "HI-Jacker" and it just fits.

Your second issue is your steering cable. It looks like it will be too much of a kink to it, if you route it to the tilt tube. You could use one of those splashwell mounts. That should work, although you may need to customize the link arm for travel and set back.

j_martin

Admiral

Sometimes putting another hole in the side of the well aft the main cable hole will do the trick.

Many bass boats have screwed up steering because the cables were not rerouted when a jack plate was installed. The back one kinks.

john

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You would do better to start another thread in the Boat Resto Forum. You are going to run into a bunch of little problems.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMD Rules that was a big help. I only have one cable, but it looks like I just need another hole above my swim step. I will just have to tell ppl using the swim step to be careful lol.

Is there a good source for a large grommet/boot for the new hole?

I am curious as to your setup. You have the motor mounted all the way up, AND the jack plate all the way up. Did you put a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom? Why so high?

Thanks again for the pics.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

CHRIS1956:

Why would the motor not fit any jackplate? They are two pieces, so width wouldn't be a problem.

Are you saying that the T&T components also have to be bolted to the plates and they might not fit or have clearance?

I'd love you see a pic or two of how yours is set up. If you could post something I'd greatly appreciate it!

James

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The width of the transom bracket plus the PTT Bracket MAY be too much. My jackplate is the one piece type, so I simply asked the manufacturer if it would fit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Be sure not to kink your steering cable, especially where it mounts to the engine.....no tight turns either. Both will essentially render your steering useless as it will be too hard to steer the engine.

Once it is kinked, you will not get it out.

Looks like you are getting some good advice. I have a bass boat that had a kinked cable and it was because of the way it was OEM routed. On the replacement I just laid it on the deck (clamped down) and had a nice smooth sweep going into the engine. You can't do that with yours as your splashwell is too high....but you might come up with a better idea....just remember, nice smooth sweep, no sharp bends.

Mark

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would there be any possible problems going from a 85HP to 150HP using the std single steering system? What's the purpose of the dual cable systems?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

James, I use a single cable on my Merc 1500. It should handle your 150HP as well. The dual cable is for better control of the large OBs

j_martin

Admiral

James, I use a single cable on my Merc 1500. It should handle your 150HP as well. The dual cable is for better control of the large OBs

It mostly depends on speed. If you're running a v pad hull, like most bass boats, and you get it up over 55 or so, if the steering has any slop in it at all, you could get into uncontrollable chine walk when it's trying to climb up onto the pad.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I like AMD's 1st pic.....didn't look at the other. Nice smooth bend in the cable.

A marine/industrial supply should be able to get you a cover for the hole. Would be nice if it were like a piece of line (rope) where you could put a round cover over the hole, put the rope through and then knot/splice end. I doubt you could do that with your steering cable.

Look on www under rubber grommets. You could cut the side of the grommet to get it over the cable.....not as pretty as chrome, but would look better than just raw glass.

Mark