carpet

cashtim

Cadet
What is the easyiest way to put down carpet the old carpet is up and what should I use to put down I.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: carpet

What is the easyiest way to put down carpet the old carpet is up and what should I use to put down I.

Why would you want to use carpet? It traps moisture and every other form of junk. It's the worst thing you could use in a boat.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why would you want to use carpet? It traps moisture and every other form of junk. It's the worst thing you could use in a boat.

I completely agree with this. Put down some type of paint/gelcoat mixed with anti-slip compound (Interlux makes one as well as many other manufacturers) and call it good. Boat manufacturers are actually getting smarter. I've noticed that most new boats have a removeable carpet system, underneath which is a non-skid surface. Take a look at some new boats to see how they do this, and copy it. That would be my advice if you absolutely must have carpet in your boat, but for goodness sake, PLEASE don't lay down a permanently installed, glued-down carpet. Boomyal has it dead on right here.

TG

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

carpet in a boat is like the toilet rug that hasn't been washed in a year.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would use indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive. It comes in latex and oil-based formulas and may be had at the Home Despot or Lowe's. Boat carpets do trap some stuff, however unlike your home's carpet, you can clean 'em with laundry soap, super clean or any other strong cleaner you have.

I personelly use red carpet. That way the blood doesn't show!

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Four Step carpet install:

1. Install carpet throughout boat.
2. Get it wet from time to time.
3. Give mold/rot some time to develop & grow.
4. Junk boat or have a big restoration project.