I think it time to replace speedometer unit.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
How hard is it to replace, some times it only registers 35mph just started 2 days ago, I know I am pushing 45-50 mph. I would like to replace with original bayliner products.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: I think it time to replace speedometer unit.

Make sure the pitot is not plugged (thats the plastic deal at the back of the boat, or it may be built into the lower unit on your motor). If that's clear, then make sure the tube is not pinched off somewhere. If that's open, it may be time to replace the speedo. No big deal there. Three wires, and the "U" clamp and it will fall out of the console.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I can't tell you if the pilot is good there is a ball bearing showing at the very bottom, do I disconnect the hose from the pilot and blow threw it or use air compresser to see if it is clogged to the speedometer??

f_inscreenname

Commander

Those pilot tubes speedo's are notoriously wrong. You really want to know how fast you are going, beg, borrow or steal a GPS unit and throw that speedo away. :eek:

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I hear ya, is there a way that I can clean it? maintain it,oil it or some thing just to get it operating the right way. One more question I don't believe the RPM"S gauge is up to par eigther can I do any kind of maintainance to it too???.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

just buy a new one, they are cheap enough.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From the perspective on one looking in from the outside, since you consider both the speedo and the tach to be faulty, is it possible that your motor and drive system is not performing at peak efficiency. For two instruments to be in error at the same time, one has to look for a common cause; but since one is driven by air pressure and the other is electrical it is unlikely that the sending source is at fault. The GPS idea is a good one. At least you will know what the boat is actually doing and go from there.

ziggy

Admiral

I don't believe the RPM"S gauge is up to par eigther

confirm that with a shop tach. then ya'll know if it's wrong or not....

and like fsn say, get a gps if ya wanna know how fast yer going.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Guys, Yes the engine and drive are in top condition, every thing is 91 I'll buy new ones and try to get a gps $$$