Starter motor gear

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello to all

I have a question regarding my 1983 200 hp Evinrude(E200TRLCTD). The small gear on top of the starter motor is starting to look quite worn. It will still start and the flywheel looks to be perfect. My question is can just this gear be replaced or does the entire S.M. have to be rebuilt. Also do I have to buy a new spring and crimp ring ( don't know what the real name is ) or does it all come as a "kit". I do have a factory service manual but it is a little vague on this topic. Also is this a common problem or should I be looking for something that is just starting to become a bigger problem. Is the starter motor adjustable or is it fixed onto the block and you simply replace the gear as needed. I would like to have a spare if possible, on board. It is the prestolite starter I don't have the number with me but will get it tonight.

Thanks in advance, this site and all of it's knowledge is the BEST.

Regards Brendon

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter motor gear

The gear is called a Bendix and the teeth are tapered to allow it to engage easily with the flywheel. Don't confuse that taper with wear. Rarely is this an issue and I doubt it is an issue with your engine. But then I can't see your engine so a picture would help.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starter motor gear

Silvertip,
Thanks for your quick reply I will try to get a picture asap. I think my main concern came when I was doing some cleaning under the hood and I noticed a little silver dust on the top of the air box and concluded that the bendix was the logical place that it was coming from. Didn't know if that was normal or not. I am somewhat new to outboards, I know on a V-8 there are shims that you put under the starter to compesate if there is a bad wear pattern. I will try to get a picture by tomorrow no wait by thurs. (Happy 4th)
Thanks again Brendon