Charge coil check

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1988 Evinrude V-4 110 HP

Was double firing one cyl now no fire.
I checked the charge coil and think its bad but want to make sure im checking right before I spend more $$$

Unplugged 2 wire conncetor between power pack and stator (under fly wheel). hooked up v-meter to the two terminals and cranked the engine. I got less than two volts when cranking, however the strboard side cylinders are firing good. I thought this was unusual since they both run off the same power pack.

Is this legit or am I doing something wrong?
Is the charge coil made into the stator (I didn't see one listed in the marine store for my application)?

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Charge coil check

1988 Evinrude V-4 110 HP

Was double firing one cyl now no fire.
I checked the charge coil and think its bad but want to make sure im checking right before I spend more $$$

Unplugged 2 wire conncetor between power pack and stator (under fly wheel). hooked up v-meter to the two terminals and cranked the engine. I got less than two volts when cranking, however the strboard side cylinders are firing good. I thought this was unusual since they both run off the same power pack.

Is this legit or am I doing something wrong?
Is the charge coil made into the stator (I didn't see one listed in the marine store for my application)?

nevermind, I was getting low volts because my key way was sheared and the fly wheel wasn't turning. I guess it caught and turned some when checking the starbrd cyl fire, but put a new woodruff (sp?) key in and problem solved!