Having Trouble Starting A Ld-10s 5 Horse (67?) Johnson

josh koons

Recruit
Would like some ideas on what else I can do to get this thing started. I ran it a lil last year so I know it runs, but something is a miss. I have checked to make sure carb is getting fuel, changed plugs, have tried to adjust richness( not really sure on this). I have almost got it goin but something is stopping it from turning completely over, it wants to go, especially when I get to pullin and spray starting fluid in or round the carb. I kinda think that it may be the points, it says to set at .020, but not exactly sure how to do this. This has to be somethin very little causing this and I cant put my finger on it. Im not real familiar with out-boards, obviously, but with a lil bit of guidiance should be able to find the problem.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP,
JOSH KOONS
FISHERMAN WHO WANTS TO GET TO THE WATER!

josh koons

Recruit
Re: Having Trouble Starting A Ld-10s 5 Horse (67?) Johnson

Please Help, Would Like To Use It This Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

using starter spray is the best way to ruin that little engine, it has no lube, and burns way to hot, can burn a hole in the piston. use premixed gas in a spray bottle.

are you getting spark on both cylinders, the points and coils can be inspected by remove the access plate on top of the flywheel. if the coils are crack or discolored they can be bad. here's picture of bad coils, and what under the flywheel.

Attachments

• MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

josh koons

Recruit

K, Will Do That, Didnt Use Alot, Knew It Couldnt Be Good For It, But Was The Only Thing Was Getting Me Anywhere.

Yes, Both Are Firing.

Would A bad seal in the housing area (where I think the float control is) where the gas goes in and then out before goin to the carb cause It Not Too Fire, I Noticed When I Pump The Gas Into It, It Leaks Just A Lil.

josh koons

Recruit

Havent Pulled The Fly Wheel Yet, Will Do That And See What It Looks Like. Just Didnt Want To Start Pullin sh it Apart, but I have fire in both plugs, wouldnt that mean that all is well under the flywheel.
I Appreciate The Quick Reply
Thanks Josh

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Josh, it isn't the fuel pump. Just priming with the squeeze bulb fills the carb and it should start from that. The fuel pump only replaces what gas is used as it runs. Also, you say it is getting gas to the carb. Not sure how you determined that, but "to" the carb is not the same as "through" the carb. I'm not sure on that year, but does it only have one carb adjustment? If so, the high speed orfice jet in the bottom of the carb bowl is probably gummed up from setting. That is my best guess. It must be absolutely, positively CLEAN. Anything less won't do. You say you have spark. Will the spark jump 1/4 inch?

josh koons

Recruit

Good thoughts imported R F,
I realized that I spoke wrong bout the fuel pump, I corrected my post, TY. I believe that its possibly where the float is, does that sound right?. Its leaking a lil when i pump it, like its stuck or clogged maybe.

I believe i got pretty good spark, but ill check again.

I also think that there is only one place to adjust the carb, that i found anyway(the richness knob), If there was another where would it be and what would it look like.

Also the way I thought that I was good about getting gas to the carb was that there is a bolt at the bottom of carb that I loosened and plenty of gas came streaming out, so i thought ? I was good.

thank you

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, about that bolt that you took out and gas ran out: Take it out again and look at the end of it. Is it bright shiny clean? Or does it have a coat of varnish-like substance on it? If it has any coating at all on it, that is a dead give-away that the orfice plug does too. It is deep in the hole behind the plug that you took out. Thorough carb cleaning is required if that is the case. Your motor has only one adjustment, for idle mixture.