WOT Question

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice
Could anyone tell me what the RPMs should be at WOT on a 1996 evinrude 90 e90tleda? I am currently getting just under 5000 to 5000 @ 30 mph.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WOT Question

it attains full HP at 5,000 4500-5500 is good

reeldutch

Lieutenant

you always alway always want to be in the upper range of rpm.
under 5000 rpm is lugging no question.
shoot for 5500 with average load.

Dennisanoka

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just barely able to get 5100-5200 on my 89 90hp. I lifted it up 1.5" on the transom. I can now get my 5500 and it comes out of the hole faster. There's alot of info. on engine ht. already posted so I won't go into it here.

Dennisanoka

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also having the right prop size and pitch comes into this discussion as well. Maybe you are over proped or maybe you are too low in the water. In my case I could tell I was a little low. If your engine is at the best ht. already then I would look towards the prop if you want to get it up to 5500 WOT.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

While on the topic of WOT rpm, does anyone know what mine should be and at what speed i should be achieving this rpm? ty

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking it might be over propped. The motor is already raised on the transom and it still only gets to a little under 5000 RPMs. It has a four bald SS prop with a 13 stamped on it.

Dennisanoka

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not in concrete but most suggest that the cavitation plate be +/- 1" above or below the bottom of the hull. You will know if you have raised it too much if on turns you begin to suck air into the prop. You'll hear it and your rpm's will rise. I was only 3/4 of and inch below the hull and raising it just 1.5' made a huge difference. I would think the prop would have 2 numbers like 13x??

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice

There is no noticable spike in RPMs while cornering. I can only find the 13 stamped on the prop. Would this be the pitch?

Dennisanoka

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fact that it doesn't cavitate in a turn simply says that the engine is not set too high but that doesn't mean it couldn't be set higher. About your prop I'm not sure what the 13 means on that one. Maybe you could find it on the manf. web site. One way or the other you should try to find out what is so at least you know your starting point in case you want to try a different prop. If you move to a lower pitch prop you will increase RPM's, you will gain advantage in the hole shot but you'll give up some speed. On the otherhand, if you are able to raise your engine and get the additional 300 rpm you will improve speed and possible hole shot as well.