What are these parts called?

jbbumper

Cadet
I had a problem with reverse so I pulled the outdrive. Found remnants of 2 black rubber pieces. They are in the shift rod area. When the water pump failed and it overheated it caused these pieces to melt. Anyone know what they are called, because they will have to be replaced? Also some kind of sealant was also inside (hard as a rock). It encased the shift rod and this kept it from going into reverse. I hope I can get it off. Anyone ever had this problem? Thanks for the help. This forum is great.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: What are these parts called?

It's somewhat difficult to say from a verbal description.

It's good if you post drive make, model, and serial number.

Pictures help too.

Cheers,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

Found remnants of 2 black rubber pieces. They are in the shift rod area. When the water pump failed and it overheated it caused these pieces to melt.

Ayuh,........

That sounds like parts of the Flapper Valves,........

They're supposed to reside in the Upper section of the Y-Pipe.........

jbbumper

Cadet

Sorry I forgot to mention the year and model. It's an 1988 OMC Cobra. v6 GM motor. I know they aren't impeller parts. It was intact when I replaced it. Flapper Valves seem like the answer. Are they put in with some kind of sealant?
They did have small holes that look like they mounted on something, but I couldn't find them on the upper case diagram. Thanks for the replies.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Most likely they are located (or should be) in the y pipe just below the rubber bellows in the engine compartment.....;)

jbbumper

Cadet

Thank You for the replies. I found out the name of them. They are called the exhaust seals and they do go into the Y Exhaust Pipe like you said Haut. Does anyone know what the sealant in the upper part of the outdrive is for, where the shift rod is located. It is very hard and encased the shift rod and fork. Thanks again.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If you are talking about the shift rod coming out of the lower housing there should not be any sealant around that rod. It has a seal inside the small housing where the rod comes out.
Maybe someone went way overboard with some sealant and it ran down the shift rod. The only thing on the fork should be Triple guard grease..as well as grease on the bell crank..

Post a pic if you can..

jbbumper

Cadet

Thanks. This stuff was actually the melted exhaust flapper valves from the Y pipe. It was tough to remove but I just heated it a little and it came off. My shift problem should be cured. Thanks again