78 OMC 400 to 84 OMC 400, steering now backwards.

jontoronto27

Seaman
I recently replaced my 78 Hydro Assist with an 84 Mechanical.. everything was great, went to back off the ramp dock and it went the opposite way I wanted. When I turn the wheel left it goes right and vice versa. My boat has the tru-course steering (with the dial at the steering wheel that moves the needle. I thought I could just take the cable off and flip it over but it appears to be indexed. The pulley at the end of the steering wheel shaft won't come off either.. anyone?

Thanks!
Jon

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: 78 OMC 400 to 84 OMC 400, steering now backwards.

For some odd reason- OMC decided to make LH and RH worm gears in the top of the upper units of their drive - you can swap the steering worm set out of your old upper to the new one. I have also removed the drum from the steering at the helm on one boat, and flipped it over, redrilled the steering shaft and reinstalled- but not possible on all boats due to space restrictions under the dash.

jontoronto27

Seaman

which would you suggest? I'm lazy and don't know what I'm doing.

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same probelm with my 89 OMC when steering cable was replaced. My guy just flipped over the pulley-- sounds like you have to do a little more.

OR--the day I figured it out I had my brother in law with me--had to get him out of the house all day because there was a Surprise Birthday Party waiting for him when we got home 4 hours later. So I did what any quick thinking boater does when faced with a day on the water with backwards steering--- I kept telling myself "STEER TOWARDS TROUBLE" and I was fine. I was even MORE FINE when steering was properly fixed.

Good luck.

jontoronto27

Seaman

I had the same probelm with my 89 OMC when steering cable was replaced. My guy just flipped over the pulley-- sounds like you have to do a little more.

By pulley do you mean the piece that's under the dashboard at the end of the steering wheel shaft? When I look under the dashboard I see the two cables. I can remove a white plastic flap and then I'm looking at two cables wrapped around a pulley with two flathead screws that I'm assuming hold those cables in. I took out the two small bolts that hold that assembly to the bracket, but the unit itself seems firmly planted onto that steering wheel shaft but in the casting I see two holes facing me so it looks like it could be reversed, but I just can't seem to get it off..

whywhyzed

Banned

OK, you are close- you slid the plastic cover back- turn the steering wheel and you'll see 1 screw come around - remove that 1 screw and the drum will slide off. Flip he drum if there is room - remount the bracket (I think)- redrill the steering shaft- reinstall the 1 screw- careful not to overtighten - that screw is screwing into aluminum

jontoronto27

Seaman

OK, you are close- you slid the plastic cover back- turn the steering wheel and you'll see 1 screw come around - remove that 1 screw and the drum will slide off. Flip he drum if there is room - remount the bracket (I think)- redrill the steering shaft- reinstall the 1 screw- careful not to overtighten - that screw is screwing into aluminum

Oh okay, I was looking at that screw and I was a little terrified. I thought it was going to make the cable unravel or something and take my eye out. What do you mean by "redrill"?

whywhyzed

Banned

the hole where that screw goes through now isn't in the center of the drum, it's offset to one side, so when you flip it, it will have to go through the shaft about 1 inch or so over further- so it needs a new hole

jontoronto27

Seaman

the hole where that screw goes through now isn't in the center of the drum, it's offset to one side, so when you flip it, it will have to go through the shaft about 1 inch or so over further- so it needs a new hole

After about an hour of lining up the tru course and the outdrive (you were right about the screw clearance in the dashboard, I took the screw out, tried to line up the shaft by stuffing the drill bit in it and it snapped it in two) LOL then after 20 minutes of really really hot aluminum shavings landing on my arm it was done! thanks!