Bimini Sunbrella cleaning . . .

Expidia

Commander
A search here only produced canvas mildew removal suggestions . . . and many suggested (GASP!) using bleach or diluted bleach (YIKES!).

My New Bimini which is made of acrylic . . . already has a few white spots on it. This is annoying because it's only a week old.

I think what happened is I trailered the boat home in a rainstorm last week. And the Bimini was in it's cover, I had not even used it yet so it was dry inside. But I think moisture got in there anyway from the driving rain and now I've got white spots in various places.

A friend said to just open it up and the sun should take car of them, but many are on the underside.

So I'm not about to use bleach diluted or not or tilex like some use on canvas. I called Westland, the manufacturer and they said the only thing they ever recommend is to use a "mild" soap solution like Ivory Snow etc and lightly brush the top and then rinse.

I think I'll also do the same as another poster who said he's gotten years out of his top by spraying it with Scotchguard. So once I clean it, I'll spray it down every now and then with Scotchguard.

I'm posting this because some others might read "the cleaning mildew off canvas threads" by using bleach, but I would not recommend this for acrylics.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bimini Sunbrella cleaning . . .

Just throw it in the washer machine. That what I do with mine. If it dosent fit laundry mats usally have nice big ones.

Hope that helps!

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I think I'll also do the same as another poster who said he's gotten years out of his top by spraying it with Scotchguard. So once I clean it, I'll spray it down every now and then with Scotchguard.

I've had great luck with 303's Fabric Guard. According to the 303 Website 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the retreatment product recommended by and for Sunbrella? /Glen Raven, Inc.

Expidia

Commander

I've had great luck with 303's Fabric Guard. According to the 303 Website 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the retreatment product recommended by and for Sunbrella? /Glen Raven, Inc.

Thx I'll pick some up. I was a little worried about hitting it with Scotchguard because if you don't first test the fabric when using Scotchguard it can run some colors.

I never asked Westland what to use to protect it, I just asked what to use to get the white spots off and they said use a mild soap solution, Ivory Snow etc.

303's retailer search says EMS and West Marine also carry the product in my area.

Expidia

Commander
Re: Bimini Sunbrella cleaning . . . STICKY needed!

Re: Bimini Sunbrella cleaning . . . STICKY needed!

I just squirt mine off with the hose, but here a link to what Sunbrella says.

http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl?F=cc.htm

Wow, that link to the Sunbrella site is perfect. That's it, that's all anyone needs to care for their Bimini fabric . . . .Thx a lot!

This link to Sunbrella should definitely be A STICKY, so members don't ruin their Bimini's trying to clean them without reading this link FIRST!

Most of the other posters suggestions like washing machine, diluted bleach, 303 High Tech Fabric Guard etc were in there too depending on how dirty the fabric is.

But I suggest a STICKY because it says things like "no detergent" and who would think to cover your carpets and other areas when you're using a bleach . . . because the bleach might react with the carpet material and might stain them.

This link has EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about cleaning the very popular Sunbrella fabric.

You would think the CS rep at Westland would have pointed be back to this Sunbrella site?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I doubt a protectant would have made a difference in your case. Bottom line is if you store your bimini wet in the boot, you'll have a mess. If it gets wet in the boot, open it up and dry it out before storing it. Mine, also Sunbrella and a dark color, still looks new after 4 years...

Expidia

Commander

I doubt a protectant would have made a difference in your case. Bottom line is if you store your bimini wet in the boot, you'll have a mess. If it gets wet in the boot, open it up and dry it out before storing it. Mine, also Sunbrella and a dark color, still looks new after 4 years...

Thx, you're right. Since I trailer each time and if it rains I'll just have to open the bimini up and let it air dry once I get home. Even though I never used it that day I guess.

The spots come off easy enough. I can wet my finger, rub them and they are gone. I know they are just mildew. But what the fabric is coated with new seems not to help very much. So a light brushing with mild soap will remove the spots and I'm sure and a spray of 303 can't hurt to make the fabric a little more water repellent.

The Sunbrella site said once you brush and clean the top for a little heavier dirt, you'll need to refresh the 303 protector anyway or at least every few years.

So picking up some 303 will probably help me anyway since I trailer so much and the Bimini is stuffed into it's cover, yet the rain and spray get forced up into the open ends. Think I'll try and seal or close off those open ends a little with a couple of velcro straps.

I don't want this to become like camping that if I pack my tent up in the rain I have to open it up and dry it out as soon as I get home. Twice the effort.

I trailer the boat at least 3 plus times a week!