pulling starter on 4.3L V6

Looking for some diagnosis with some weekend trouble on my 1993 Celebrity 4.3. Boat ran great all day. Had just finished pulling a tuber so had run the motor fairly hard for about 10 minutes. Shut it off to pull rope and tube. when trying to restart, motor would turn over fine but wouldn't fire. Was a windy day and we were quickly drifted to a rocky bank. In panic mode, I tried to start her many times and it acted flooded then quit turning over. Got it home and charged the battery all night.(battery tested ok). The next day it would still barely turn over maybe 2 cycles and then something "clunks". Noticed a little smoke coming from the area of the starter.

Could the starter be the culprit? If it's bad, would the motor not turn over at all or could it cause the sluggish cranking? I'm praying it's the starter and not a bigger problem like something locked up.

If it is the starter, anyone know how many bolts I'll be looking for? It's a tight space and just want to know before I get in there.

Thanks

Ol'Jim

Recruit
Re: pulling starter on 4.3L V6

Certainly sounds like your starter went bad.
Don't know about a Celebrity, but I changed the starter on our 18' Sunbird OMC Cobra 4.3 last year. Not too bad, all things considered. You will be removing 2 long bolts that run vertically up through the starter from beneath. Can't remember for sure, but I believe they were pretty-much standard GM starter bolts. (It is a Chevy engine, after all). May have been Metric heads, around 13-15 mm. Once those are out, the unti will drop straight down and a bit to the rear. Then you need to remove the wires from the Solenoid, which is piggy-backed onto the starter body. The wires are secured by nuts, one small one for the Start wire, and a large one for the positive battery cable.
Some solenoids use 2 small wires instead of 1. You can get a better visual once you have your new one in-hand, or you can look at any Chilton's type auto service manual for a Chevrolet car or truck with the 4.3 V-6 engine.

Add Note: (For desperate situations only!!) You can use a starter for a 1993 Chevy Truck with 4.3 in a pinch, and they are available at most any auto parts store. BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY ONLY, AND A TEMPORARY FIX. Not only is the non-marine starter not properly equipped for life in a wet environment, but it DOES NOT incorporate all the extra explosion protection that the marine unit has. SO IF YOU DO THIS YOU MUST RUN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT VENTILATION BLOWER CONSTANTLY FOR AT LEAST 5-8 MINUTES BEFORE STARTING, AND AT ALL TIMES UNDERWAY UNLESS REFUELING!! Then change to the proper marine type starter as soon as possible after you get the vessel back to port or home. We had to do this last year, on a large lake that did not have the starter on hand. Got us back across the water for $54, which was a bunch less than a tow or a 3-day repair job at the marina. (Please DON'T make me regret posting this! (TEMPORARY EMERGENCY ONLY!). The correct $200 unit is the one you need to put in your boat. I recommend spending a few extra $ for the lifetime guarantee rebuilt version, but not the Platinum $$$$ brand-new one.

Coors

Captain

Pull your plugs asap, and check for water in the cylinders.

Thanks for a great response Jim. Just what I needed.

Coors, I will check the plugs tonight. What would have happened to cause water in the cylinders? You're scaring me man!!! But thanks for the advise.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ditto - check for water intrusion.

ALSO - don't waste your time or money on an aftermarket shop manual, especially an automotive one. Get the Mercruiser Factory Service Manual, check ebay, you can probably pick one up for about $20.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Thanks for a great response Jim. Just what I needed.

Coors, I will check the plugs tonight. What would have happened to cause water in the cylinders? You're scaring me man!!! But thanks for the advise.

A leak in the exhaust manifold or elbow or the gasket between them will dump water back into the engine through an open exhaust valve.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the starter yourself, & take it to any repair shop that specializes in starter, alternator rebuilds. Marine starter or not, any of these type shops can do it, & you'll save a few bucks in the bargain.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

And don't forget, in the future, should this happen again, throw your anchor if it won't start. No need for all that panic...;)

good point bjcsc about throwing the anchor. It's amazing the simple and obvious things you forget when in a panicked state. After freeing the lower unit from all the rocks and mud, we pushed the boat out into 4 or 5 feet of water and then it took the wife to think about throwing the anchor. I'm not sure if she said it before or after she told me that we are selling the SOB of a boat and never getting another boat. Of course she was the one in the water as I was in the boat nice an dry trying to get it started. I wonder how many marriages have been lost to a damned ole boat. I was almost a statistic.