Yet another boat

reelfishin

Captain
I was given yet another boat today, a 23' Hydra Sports, circa 1973. It's a cuddy cabin with a huge rear fishing deck and a wide beam. I really didn't want another boat, yet alone a larger one, but I had a trailer to handle it here, and the motors both run and check out like new.
The transom has been reinforced, but it seems rock solid as far as using it. The cabin is pretty bare, stripped down for fishing use. The rest just needs a bath and some fresh paint. It's got a pair of 1974 Evinrude V6's on it. I will most likely sell the hull, I just want the motors and the twin controls.
I believe it's the first year for Hydra Sports? Its a cool looking boat with lots of room. I'll get some pics once it's back here, I didn't have the room for it in the yard so I left it at a buddies place for now.
I did a quick search online to find a similar boat, but found nothing. I like the way it's layed out, but keeping it would require me buying a larger truck to trailer it. Not to mention the fuel it would use. It's got to be near 4500 lbs or so on the trailer, maybe more.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yet another boat

i'm picking up these two this coming weekend. less than $400 in both of them

Attachments

• addiction.jpg
    addiction.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • addicition2.jpg
    addicition2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain

I'd have about 60 boats if I took every free one that I found, I sort look at most of them as parts in most cases. Most seem to be I/O boats, but the larger I/O boats donate some of the larger trailers. Usually the motor is missing or just plain junk on the I/O boats. I've been lucky with the outboard boats, they have all been decent. I've only had to cut up one so far out of over 30. I have another one coming next week too, it's a larger Bayliner with a Mercruiser 5.7L. It's supposed to run, but I am after the trailer. The rest will either get passed on or get salvaged for parts. I've gotten away from the I/O boats nearly completely, I only own one right now, and it may get sold to make room for a lighter boat that's better for fishing. The only problem is that the old Merc 120 is so good on fuel.

I only wish I had more room, I hate to cut up or junk a good boat, but I have 5 in the yard and 7 more in storage with two more coming soon.
The last few have really surprised me as far as condition though, they've been really nice boats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i perfer the ob's also. we have one family boat that is kept in Daytona, 23' chris craft deck boat, 5.7 VP. i do not service it. that was the agreement on the purchase.

reelfishin

Captain

Myself, I'd actually prefer the motor set up in an I/O, but the drives just seem to have so many problems. My Duo with the Merc 120 is a super clean boat and runs great, but it's heavy compared to the same boat with an outboard. It gets much better fuel economy though. I just did the bellows, ujoint and shaft in it so it should be good for a few years. I don't run that one too often only since it's harder to launch and has less room with the back to back seats. Most of my other boats are wide open with only two pedestal seats with lots of room to walk around. The Duo still has all of it's seats.
I seem to prefer a smaller boat that has higher sides, but one that's light enough to trailer easily.