92 90hp force-reinstall LU now intermittent start

dcar00

Seaman Apprentice
All,

I changed the impeller on my Force 1992 90hp.

I put the unit in reverse before I dropped the LU. Got the impeller in, key correct. re installed and made sure the water pick up tube aligned. got all the bolts back in and it looked like it fit perfectly back together

First issue, the shift rod/linkage/cotter pin was hard to get back together. I had to pull up the small rod that goes into the lower unit and push down on the L shaped bar above it with a screwdriver to get the holes to align so that I could put the cotter pin in.

Is this normal or should the holes have aligned with out doing this?

went to start w/ muffs on and moved ****er from reverse to neutral/forward. turned key/choke. Nothing happened(coudl hear the choke).

played with the controls and I finally got it to start. idled high at 1100PRM on the muffs. water pressure gauge showed 4psi.

reved to about 1900rpm for about 30seconds and got 10psi.

back to idle for a minute or so, no real spray coming out of the back but still 4psi.

stopped engine and went to start again. NOTHING AGAIN. Played with the controls further but couldn't start. After 5 minute break went to start again and it started.

Did I do something wrong when I installed the LU that makes the motor think it is not in Neutral for start? maybe it has to do with the issue with the shift rod/linkage cotter pin area?

Is there anything I can do with the prop to make sure that forward/neutral/reverse is correct while it is out of the water?

It seems the water tube is aligned because I am getting good water pressure.

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 90hp force-reinstall LU now intermittent start

Partially remove the lower unit.

Put the controls into forward gear.

Put the lower unit into forward gear.

Install l/u, insert pin.

Does your model have the neutral safety switch on the motor, or in the control box?

dcar00

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Roscoe,

Hopefully you can have a little patience with me

which bolts should I remove to partially remove LU?

how do I put the LU in to forward gear with it partially removed? turn the prop?

I have to pull out the control arm to put it into neutral. is that what you mean?

Thanks again
dcar00

dcar00

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Roscoe,

Can you help me understand how to put the LU into forward gear while it is droppped?

By the way, when I dropped the LU the long drive shaft came out with it. Should I put that back first in before re-installing the LU?

seems like that is a better way so that your are connecting the short drive shaft to the long drive shaft but I don't know for sure.

ALso, the veins on the impeller should be sweeping back from left to right as you look down on the LU from above correct?

Thanks for all your help.
dcar00