little prop help...thanks

wisemack34

Seaman Apprentice
I have a (1995 stratos 17' center console with a 1990 90hp johnson) just installed the 90hp.....I hope o mounted the motor in the right place.....It has a hard time to get on plane...it has a 17 pitch prop and runs about 3000 rpms coming out of the hole....but fly on top end at 5500 rpms....what would be the best thing to do about getting out of the hole better....cause trust me it is slow to get on plane like 40 to 50 ft with the front od the boat way up in the air...........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: little prop help...thanks

The prop is apparently correct for the application as the engine runs in the proper rpm range WOT. It would appear however that you either trimmed way too far out during hole shot. The engine should be trimmed in to start, then trimmed out as you get on plane. With the boat on a trailer, lower the engine. Place a straight edge on the bottom of the boat along the keel. Slide the straight edge toward the engine until it touches the lower unit. The antiventilation plate on the engine should be flush to an inch or two minimum above the straight edge. If it is lower than that, you need to raise the engine up on its mounting. You also have a stern heavy boat. Make sure the foam is not water logged. You can weigh the boat and subtract the weight of the trailer, engine and gear to determine that.