Old Johnson Sea Horse Outboard

Gerry S.

Recruit
I have an old Johnson Sea Horse 5hp I would like to rebuild. I am not certain how old it is and would like to know. The serial number is 952239, model TN26 (or possibly 28). Can anyone help guide me?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Old Johnson Sea Horse Outboard

Welcome to iboats Gerry !!

TN28= 1952-53 5hp
TN26= 1950-51 5hp

fishchaser

Cadet

Looks like it's a 1950 or 1951 if you've got a TN26. Or a 1952, 1953 if you've got a TN28.

Found your model numbers on this site. http://www.old-omc.de/
You might want to check it out. Lots of good info here.

I myself am just getting started with a rebuild on a 1955 QD16. So I'm something of a novice, but there are some good people on this site who are very helpful.

It would be a good idea to do some searches on this site. There are a lot of good posts directly related to what you're wanting to do.

Good Luck

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The TNs were great motors. Problems you may find with it are coils (cracked--depends on which TN you have), Water pump impeller is obsolete, but you can use the one for a 5.5hp by reaming out the center hole to fit the shaft. Carburetor has a cork float that may be salvageable with a few coats of model airplane "fuel proof dope". If the cork is too far gone, you can modify a Mercury float. The carb primer cups are obsolete too, but there is a guy over at aomci.org that is making repros.