Need help with motor year and fuel leak

obxjoel

Recruit
I just bought a motor today (25HP mercury) that was running. I need to figure out what year the motor is and have been all over the internet trying to find it. The serial number is 06152904. Also when I went to start it up when I got home I tried to start it and it would run for about 20 seconds then cut off. I found that fuel is leaking from the bottom of the fuel bowl. I will take the carb off tomorrow but do you think I will just be looking at a gasket rebuild or something more. Thanks for yalls help.
thumbsup4kk.gif

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help with motor year and fuel leak

are you sure the 2nd number is a 6 and not a G? could have a sticky float or be crudded up with old fuel residue.

obxjoel

Recruit

I looked at the motor earlier and I belive it is a 6 . There is no zero infront of the serial number though. I do not know where I got that from. I went and took the carb off today and cleaned it all up (draining the old fuel out which had some water in it). When I put it back together it started right up and ran great for about 15 minutes in the yard with some water hooked up to it. I turned it off and went to do a couple other things then started it agian about 2 hours later and it started right up and ran great again. Well I just went to start it again and now it wont start. In the beginning the fuel tank he give me had some water in the fuel and it was really old fuel so I poured that out and did a new mixture right before cleaning the carb. Do you think maybe there is some water still in the tank that got into the motor or something else going on? Thanks for the help.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Could be water and varnish. Can you run it from a portable fuel source to see if the problem follows?

bass buster

Seaman

Did the motor come with a plastic or metal fuel tank?
If its metal, it could be a corrosion/rust problem with the tank and/or fuel lines and connectors. Metal tanks are known for this.I'm no expert here,but I'd check the fuel line from the tank to make sure its not clogged.

My 25 HP Merc serial number is close to yours. Mine is a 1985, so I'm guessing yours is probably an 85 also.

obxjoel

Recruit

The motor came with the red plastic 6 gallon fuel tank. When you pump the bulb you can hear the gas going into the motor. They also just replaced the fuel lines going into the cylinder and are see threw ones. I see some air bubbles comming through the line and into the cylinder with the fuel. I cleaned the carb all up and there was some stuff in there but nothing bad. There was a couple of drops of water in the fuel bowl when I took it off though and when I put it back on is when the motor ran great so thats why I was thinking maybe it got some water in there and wont run now. Is there anything else that would of made it just not of a sudden want to turn over? I got good spark and everything ( I am going to go ahead and change the plugs and wires though). Thanks for yalls help again.

obxjoel

Recruit

Well yesterday I tried to start the motor about three different times through the day with no luck. I finally went out that afternoon to start it again and it wouldnt turn over. So I did me some praying for it and got an idea to pull the fuel line off the cylinder for some reason and gave her a pull to my suprise it turned over and ran for about 5 seconnds till it ran out of fuel:eek:. I gave it a couple pulls to get to run some gas through the lines and then put the fuel line back on and she started right up, came right out of choke and sat there and idled and went right into gear. I then let it run and turned it on and off about five times and it fired right up everytime. So it looks like it has been fixed.

When I took the carb off I removed all the mixture screws to clean them counting how many turns and put them back like they were but does anybody know what the stock adjustment should be or where I could get a good manual. I think I have narrowed the motor down to being a 1982. Thanks yall.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

best manual to get is the original mercury, look on ebay for them. seloc and clymer make manuals but cover a lot and are vague about specifics. clymer is usually better. this link will give you carb set up procedures. most mechanics just run it on muffs, start about 1 1/2 turns out and adjust by ear, turning in till they bog and opening up 1/4 turn. procedure here, does the proper job .
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855