69-70 inline 6

Hello to all from the newbie, last night I bought a Pipestone Mariner 16' Tri-Hull (cab forwaed) with tandem trailer for $250.00 and all I really wanted was the trailer for my other boat. Today I thought I would see if the engine would hold water (closed system) and nope ran out as fast as it went in, turns out it is cracked along the 2-3-4 cyl on the exhaust side right at the block deck. This has been welded and either the water was not drained or the weld did not hold. The boat is really in good shape and I got to thinking why not replace the block? Is this in-line six which I think is a 235 GM the same as a car block or are the blocks different in the marine department?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisconsinjimmy/
Thanks for your time
JimG

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 69-70 inline 6

I think you'll find that it's a Chevy Truck 250cid,..... And,.. a 292cid will drop in with only minor Inconveniences......

The "Fly in the Pudding" of this swap is that many blocks Don't have the Ears with the Bolt Holes for the Front Motor Mount........
Pay Special Attention to the Front End of the block you Buy...........;)

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

prob the 250 but if you dont care to much and just wanna drive it with out a hell of alot of work... JB weld is ur best friend :D

I thought about the JB Weld hmmmmm might just give it a whirl see how it works for the summer and keep my eye out for the engine. The block welding thing might have worked but I do believe that it was welded in the boat also where it cracked is a rather bad spot just below the block deck and I mean just.
Let me ask , how strong of a motor is this GM and yes it is a 250.
JimG

Bondo

Staff member

If you don't Beat it,...... Or let it Freeze.............

They're as Tough as they come,+ will Keep On Keeping On for Along Time.......

ziggy

Admiral

how strong of a motor is this GM and yes it is a 250.
with a crack in it. not as strong as it was.

i don't think ya'll find to many folks that don't like the engine in general. they are just good, plaine ol work engines that work well in boats.

I think I am going to look for another block and in the mean time pull the engine and have it welded proper. Looks like a good winter project. I am amazed at how many boats will freeze up it is like the dumb people are every where. Being a closed system can yyou not run antifreeze or must the engine be drained each year?
JimG

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It apparently did not have the 50/50 mix that it should have.....
Generally, you only need to drain the raw water side of the system for winter storage.......;)

A 292, what minor diff are we talking about as my other name is Admiral MURPHY.
JimG

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ah... looks like the crack I found on my block when I pulled the manifold only mine was much smaller of a crack (still talking about the block here:D) Looks like that may be the weak spot on the inline 6? What's a good used price on that engine. I'm still in search for one here in Kentucky. And any of you guys that do that kind of work, Don et al, what would you call a reasonable charge to install the used motor? I'm okay with engines, but that outdrive looks like a monster to R/R. :) I finally got the OEM manuals for the engine and outdrive, but I'm even more scared to pull that outdrive. Worried even more things might break. ...and I'm already into my 2008 boat budget:) J/K