skimmer speed boat

hello. i've have recently aquired a small sports boat and wondered if any one has come across them before. Its called a skimmer and the number on the back is 108. its about 10 foot long, a bit like a jet ski but you sit in it like a boat. it has got a mid 1980's mariner 40hp on the back and i have to say, it goes like the clappers!!! probably a bit over powered but it handles very well and is nice and slable at speed. The only problem I've found is that it cavitates when turning at high speed and could probably do with a higher pitch. it's got a 10 inch diameter, 14 inch pitch on now. Top speed..... dont have a speedo but would say........whoosh! All feedback welcome.

Attachments

• 61f7_1.jpg
    61f7_1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 66d5_1.jpg
    66d5_1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6472_1.jpg
    6472_1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0

rndn

Commander
Re: skimmer speed boat

I'm sure it's a rocket but will be very unstable because of i'ts size. I'll bet it's a riot to drive!

hello. i've have recently aquired a small sports boat and wondered if any one has come across them before. Its called a skimmer and the number on the back is 108. its about 10 foot long, a bit like a jet ski but you sit in it like a boat. it has got a mid 1980's mariner 40hp on the back and i have to say, it goes like the clappers!!! probably a bit over powered but it handles very well and is nice and slable at speed. The only problem I've found is that it cavitates when turning at high speed and could probably do with a higher pitch. it's got a 10 inch diameter, 14 inch pitch on now. Top speed..... dont have a speedo but would say........whoosh! All feedback welcome.

it really is a blast. the stability issue i dis agree with as it really does handle well. At about half throttle it does at a guess, about 25mph and i've done that in abou 2 to 3 foot waves and stayed nice and dry. From a standing start it would pull your arms out of thier sockets but screams at full throttle. I guess about 35 to 40 mph so a step up in pitch would probably help. the whole thing cost me ?600 about $1100 i think, so huge fun per pound.:)

anyone got any idea how fast this thing should go? also what do you think the maximum pitch should be. cheers for your advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the cavatation is caused by the engine height. it's set for maxium straight runs, so throttle back for turns. pitch can create better speed and hole shots, but the important thing about pitch, and prop size is obtaining to optimum operating Wide open throttle rpms for the motor. which with that engine is probably 5000 +- rpms. that what you want to attain. below take you are lugging the engine, above you are over reving the engine.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good point, Tashasdaddy. Like in a car, you don't necessarily turn at full throttle, especially in little speedboats like that one. Kinda cries out for a hot foot pedal throttle, I think.

Managed to rig up a gps and clocked it at 41 knots speed over ground. Pretty good going. Still on the lookout for that 15" pitch prop.