New head gasket blown

In the dark

Cadet
In the last couple of weeks, as time has alotted, my son in law has replaced the head gasket to my 120hp 4 clyinder mercruiser 1974. We got the torque information and tightening pattern from this web site, and I believe he followed he process correctly. I was not there while he did this. To the point, I had the boat out on the lake for two hours by myself and it ran and cooled perfectly not any issues that day. He has had it out several more times than that and now another blown gasket, between 2&3 if that makes any sence to all this.My son in law now says that he knows where he can get a car engine and replace this engine, he says it's the same size. The cost for the engine is $400.00 his labor will be free. I would imagine the $400.00 is just the start of addional cost.Repairs to the exiting block and head, maybe be too much money for this old of boat. Please share your ideas with me on this, I very much appreciate evrything I get from everyone here.
Thanks
Virgil Witt

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New head gasket blown

Hi Virgil,......

and now another blown gasket, between 2&3 if that makes any sence to all this.
Exactly Where,+ Why did the original Head Gasket Fail,..??..??....

Was the Head resurfaced before it was reinstalled,..??....
Was the Head,+ Block checked for Flatness before it was put back together,..??....
Were the gasket surfaces of the Head,+ Block Perfectly Clean, before they were put back together,..??....

I'm Guessing the answer to 1 of those Questions is,..... No.......
Headgaskets Fail for a Reason,..... Those are some of the more common Reasons..........

My son in law now says that he knows where he can get a car engine and replace this engine, he says it's the same size.

Unfortunately,..... He's Wrong...........

These motors have Never been used in a Car,.....

The 2.5ls used in Chevy cars,+ trucks is a Totally Different Casting,+ will Not fit...........
None of the bolt holes are where they belong...............

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tell me that he used a marine head gasket.

Bondo

Staff member

Considering that that particular motor has Only been used in Boats,.............

I'm thinking that it would be Pretty Tough to find Anything But a Marine Head Gasket..............

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Considering that that particular motor has Only been used in Boats,.............

I'm thinking that it would be Pretty Tough to find Anything But a Marine Head Gasket..............[/QUOT

Bondo

Staff member

Pardon me, Mr. Know It All.

Ayuh,....... No Problem,..........

Just because you're trying to spread Misinformation,........
Doesn't make Me a Know It All..........

Just alittle more Informed than Yourself.....................:rolleyes:

Btw,................
Bad Mouthing Myself,.....
Or Any of the other regular Posters here at iboats Isn't going to do You any Good........
'cause,......... When it's You asking for Info,....... The Answers will tend to be Slim to None.............
But,........
If it made You Feel Better,............. Have a Nice Day...........