Park it... or run it?

Meauran

Cadet
I've got a 1986 Thompson bowrider. Nice boat. I got a great deal on it from a neighbor who had had it sitting for the last four years.

He told me it had a couple of issues but it ran when it was parked and was properly winterized. Interior is decent, 'glass is decent, the engine started right up for me after I cleaned the points... all in all, it is a decent boat and I live on a lake and I'm the only one without a boat. (Or was the only one without a boat, that is.)

I put it in the water without really doing anything to it other then giving it a good cleaning. I knew nothing about it but with the help of the this site and others, I have become fairly knowledgeable about it and the quirks associated with the Merc 3.7l 170/470 and the Alpha 1.

Here's the issues/symptoms I have identified so far. Shift cable boot is cracked badly. I've been able to seal it up with gobs of silicone and if I keep the drive trimmed down and cranked right, I can keep the water out well enough to leave it in the water. (I turn the bilge pump on twice a day just to be sure) The gimbal bearing growls. The drive lube is milky. The impeller cam seal is breached and leaking from the weep hole.

I can't really afford the time or money right now to fix it right. Although I have the gaskets and seals to fix the cam seals, I'm not ready to dive into the all of the drive components. I'm in New Hampshire so the season only runs to the middle of September and I'm on fresh water.

Okay, there's the setup...

Here's the question. If I fix the impeller, would it cause irreparable harm to just run it for the rest of the season and then fix it in the off-season? Would you risk it?

Thanks in advance guys, this site and your advice have been instrumental in getting me this far.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Park it... or run it?

Park it unless you want to repower next year.....;)
My.02....​

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

fix all leak`s & the impeller and change outdrive gear oil. then run it till winter. (keep an eye/ear on things too)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

You need to get that boat out of the water while it still floats. If your shift cable bellows is deteriorated that badly, then you ujoint bellows will be history soon, if it isn't already. when it goes, if your no close by, you will be retrieving your boat from the bottom of the lake. Let's not forget the fines for the environmental destruction you will have caused.

What damage will you cause by running it. Your drive oil is milky - that means a leak. you will probably be replacing the drive at th end of the season if you continue to run it.

The gimbal bearing is already howling - keep running it and will get hot enough to sieze to the drive shaft and possibly the transom shield, making drive removal a PITA.

Why is the bearing growling, is there water in there due to a leaking bellows? If so your ujoints are also shot. If you keep running it and they let go, the unsupported drive shaft can destroy your transom, if this happens, again you will be retrieving your boat from the bottom.

Pretending everything is fine to save a few hundred dollars now is going to cost you thousands in the end.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yep. Pretty much everything 180shabah says. Especially with it in the water! :eek: You really don't want to have to cross your fingers just right and hope water doesn't come in while you are away.

Coors

Captain

Yep, and get an automatic bilge pump, or wire in a float.

Meauran

Cadet

Thanks for the responses already!!

It is out of the water and in my driveway right now, so it won't sink too far.;) I probably put 3-4 hours on it last week, just shaking it down. That's when I identified what I think is the gimbal bearing howling. It could be the U-joints themselves. I don't know that yet. It gets louder when you turn hard and it does it whether it's in gear or not, so I was assuming gimbal bearing.

Also I went to the parts store and they said the biggest problem they have with water in the drive is from the fill plugs so they set me up with a couple of the fiber washers that belong on the plugs.

The bilge pump DOES have a float switch and it does work properly, I have just been hesitant to let it get up that far... just being cautious. Considering how bad the boot is, it holds water pretty well.

Of course the 3-4 hours that it ran for was only just long enough for me to get the fever.

I'm looking forward to others comments as well. Thanks again.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the responses already!!

It is out of the water and in my driveway right now, so it won't sink too far.;) I probably put 3-4 hours on it last week, just shaking it down. That's when I identified what I think is the gimbal bearing howling. It could be the U-joints themselves. I don't know that yet. It gets louder when you turn hard and it does it whether it's in gear or not, so I was assuming gimbal bearing.

Also I went to the parts store and they said the biggest problem they have with water in the drive is from the fill plugs so they set me up with a couple of the fiber washers that belong on the plugs.

The bilge pump DOES have a float switch and it does work properly, I have just been hesitant to let it get up that far... just being cautious. Considering how bad the boot is, it holds water pretty well.

Of course the 3-4 hours that it ran for was only just long enough for me to get the fever.

I'm looking forward to others comments as well. Thanks again.
Wishful thinking.....
I would inspect the ujoint bellows, for a tear.....
The milky gear oil in the drive is a real concern, you need to find out how the water got in there & fix it....
Take heed to the warnings of catastrophic failure as a result of running it in it's present condition........;)

Maclin

Admiral

The thing is, even with all that is wrong to fix, you are really close to having a very reliable and nice boat! So take the time and money and do it right as soon as you can, park it until then.

cbavier

Lieutenant

180shabah
Hit right on the head. PARK IT! until you can get everything fixed. Running it like it is will only cause more problems and BIGGER EXPENSES! If you haven't had a Boat and survived, you can survive one more summer or until you have the money to fix it right.

Running it when leaking and especially with a bad Gimble and Milky oil will only cost you BO Ku bucks in the long run. SO PARK IT and keep it parked until all the repairs are completed.

Robj

Lieutenant

I agree with what everyone else has said, especially 180shabah. The repairs that you stated need to be done, should not take you a season, rather a weekend and maybe a few evenings. With regards to milky oil being caused by a fibre washer, I doubt it. More likely a seal is shot. Remove the outdrive, take it to a shop to have it tested and resealed. In the meantime, you can replace the gimbals and the other stuff that needs to be done. Don't risk it, get done properly and that way you know it is safe. Very few people would give you the advice that you want to hear, "use it as it is, or give it a band aid here and there". Just bite the bullet and fix it. If you cannot afford the spend the money, then you should just get rid of the boat. As everyone knows, boats aren't cheap.

Have a great day,

Rob.

rndcomp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can someone offer advice on how to check the outdrive gear oil? I have become somewhat of a hyprocondriac in regards to my boat and now I want to check everything that could possibly be wrong before I dump more money into it.

Another question is, how do you know when something doesn't sound right if you have never owned a boat before. To me all the sounds are new, so I really don't know good from bad. I doubt there is really any good answer to this, but I did have to ask.

Thanks!

Coors

Captain

I got jumped on for saying this recently, but the best thing you can do, is get an oem manual, and read it 4 times.

rndcomp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got jumped on for saying this recently, but the best thing you can do, is get an oem manual, and read it 4 times.

Coors, I happened to see the post that you are referring to, and I think someone took it a little too far. Just so you know, I do have the manual, but, it is my boat right now and it is pouring down rain. Just thought I would ask real quick. I have been so focused on my engine that I have paid any attention to my outdrive.

I will read the manual tomorrow. Most likely not 4 times, but at least once.

Thanks!

edit: What about the sound thing. Will you know if something sounds 'wierd' when you hear it?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I got your back, the factory manual is the way to go.

Coors

Captain

I got your back, the factory manual is the way to go.

I know, you need to know the engine well, in case of a breakdown
rdcomp- it takes 4 times to get it imbedded in your brain, as when big waves are bouncing you around, forgetting happens
I won't take my omc factory manual out, but keep a clymer, with Don's and all's trouble-shoot pages, printed out and stuffed in the pos Clymer.
Hey Kevin, pos clymer is better than a Seloc..

Coors

Captain

unscrew the bottom plug, and see if milky comes out; if so, bad seals, etc

cbavier

Lieutenant

The best thing is to take someone experienced with you. A marina Mechanic would be best but if that's not an option at least someone who has some experience. There shouldn't be any weird noises. It should purr like a kitten....no roar like a LION....ha! Run quiet, smooth and no vibrations to speak of.

rndcomp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The best thing is to take someone experienced with you. A marina Mechanic would be best but if that's not an option at least someone who has some experience. There shouldn't be any weird noises. It should purr like a kitten....no roar like a LION....ha! Run quiet, smooth and no vibrations to speak of.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.....

I am hoping to take her out this weekend to see how she does. No long trips, just circles in the marina area.

Take care!

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know? if you didn't have a clue and didn't even THINK about the problems with your boat? it'd probably run forever :). Unfortunately, you have some knowledge of systems and others here have told you what can go wrong if you let the problems go so now you won't sleep well until it's all shipshape... I know the feeling well.. We have a new to us 1988 four winns freedom 160 and the more I learn about it, the more I realize how much more there is to learn!.It's not much worse than other recreational things though, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATV's but being a newbie to boating does leave you a little vulnerable... That outdrive sure looks nice all sealed up and shiney but then you start looking at bellows and gear oil and ....... the list goes on and on.. Not trying to sound negative or anything, I'm sure you'll enjoy your boat with proper maintenance and repairing EVERYTHING that needs fixing.