Mercury 75 Tilt/Trim Bleeds Down:

momsworry

Cadet
I had this problem right after storage last year. I could tilt the motor up and almost immediately, it would settle back down again. Now, I notice it's doing it again, although not so quickly. What do I need to do? Should I replace the fluid? Should I replace and add an additive? Should I seek an outboard mechanic? Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mercury 75 Tilt/Trim Bleeds Down:

Check your manual release valve to be sure the "O" ring(s) are in good shape and it is snug.

momsworry

Cadet

Well, I pulled the manual release valve out and it appears that at the inside end of it, it has broken off. The last O ring at the tip was sort of out of position which got my attention. It appears that this plastic valve has broken off, most likely at it's weakest point.. I don't know what would have caused that, as I have never used this valve before. Anyway, when I peer into the hole created by the now removed valve, it looks like there is a piece of plastic stuck up in there. Now I have to try to find a way to extract that and get a new valve. Getting a new valve won't be a big problem, there are a few marine service/parts places around here. I just wonder if I can get the old chunk out of there without buggering up something in there. Any suggestions??

momsworry

Cadet

I dunno. I just repositioned the o ring on the end and stuck it back in, snugged it down and now it holds postion. Maybe it's fixed, at least for now. Maybe that valve just looks rather knarly on the end and maybe not broken off??? It sure didn't look that way to me, but if it works now, what they hey?