No Key!!!!!!!!!!

seasquirt05

Recruit
I have a little problem. I bought a boat with a 60 hp evinrude on it, while tryin to get the motor running realized i didnt have the key when i went to crank it. Now i have gotten it to crank using the hot wire jumped off the wire thats for the neutral safety switch. But i havent gotten it to start, i have compression, a little bit of spark, and fuel...is there any reason that if all of those wires off the ignition arent connect that the motor wont start? Please help me out i want to run this thing.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: No Key!!!!!!!!!!

There should be a number near the slot where you put the key in. Take that to a dealer and they should be able to fix you up with a key. A wire has to be disconnected from the switch before you can hot start it. Need year of motor to tell what wire.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It's a lot simpler than that. Disconnect the engine harness plug and jump it at the starter solenoid. You will need to run it out of gas or choke it to kill it however. If there is no key code, take the whole rig to the dealer. There aren't that many keys and they have a try-out ring with each key type. Try keys until you find one that fits. Buy a couple there, or buy one and head to any home improvement store and get a handful for a couple of bucks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As Silvertip,
There are not too many variations to the keys and actually as the switches wear you will find that more different keys will fit. Eventually you could almost use a screwdriver. Just make sure you have spares when this is sorted out.