...good price for a (parts) Force 90?

Bigprairie1

Commander
Anybody have an idea what a good Force 90hp (early 90's) parts motor should/would go for?
I have a local opportunity to pick one up. Supposedly the lower end has had it, but the upper end was/is ok.
Comes with a prop and is complete w/ controls.
He would like to get $300 but is taking offers on this. This seems way high...but he is keen to deal.
I would guess $100 would be a very good deal...but?
Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
(note: I imagine a spare prop, which I don't have, would probably cost me about $100 alone....correct?).
Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: ...good price for a (parts) Force 90?

I bought my 90 for 100 bucks with no lower unit, but it ran and trim/tilt was in excellent condition. Owner had for some reason cut all wires to CD boxes and he didn't know it ran. And, I had to spend hours soldering on new wires. Prop is worth about 40 -50 on ebay, controls likewise, lower unit is worth 150 if in good condition. If in bad condition, 50 if complete, and repairable. Offer 100 and if pressured go up to 200. You won't get hurt. if you blow one CD box on your engine, and salvage one off the junker, it has almost paid for itself. With the spare prop, it has paid for itself. If you collect them and need the parts, even at 300 it is not too bad but correct--now it is getting pricey. But if you look on ebay, used parts are pricey.

Look at my avatar in the upper left. That's the engine.

Bigprairie1

Commander

....another thing about this motor is that it has the power tilt option which my existing motor does not have.
Although based on some of the other issues listed in this forum w/ this gizmo this may not be a good thing.
I might go take a look at it this weekend....maybe see if he's interested in something just south of $200?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

A functioning tilt and trim goes for about what you want to pay for the engine. They don't really have as many problems as it seems. AND---Once you have one, you will never want an engine without it.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Thanks for the excellent feedback.
I will taking a look at the 'package' tomorrow and will endeavor to buy it. I think this motor is currently mounted into an early 90's bayliner (according to the photos) and with any luck it may have a tach that I could buy as well....noting that it may not work with the next motor choice for this seller.
I may take a spare batter with me and jumper cables to try the tilt system out. Regardless, it is currently sounding appealing all in all.
(if I was really lucky I would be able to 'fire' it up in the yard...maybe I'll take the muffs just in case....bit of a stretch here tho')
Wish me luck.