Craziness - 97 VP 5.7 GSI EFI system

97VP57GSI

Recruit
I have a 97 VOLVO PENTA 5.7 GSI PLKD TB EFI setup. I bought this since I thought it would be more reliable than carburetion.

Anyway, I am troubleshooting a stalling issue and I am trying to understand this crazy EFI setup.

My main question is why 2 pumps and a reservoir?

Low pressure pump feeds reservoir, High Pressure pump draws from reservoir (which has a mechanical float an valve) and feeds injectors. ECU (computer) tells injectors to open, and how much too open. At a minimum, there has got to be a throttle position sensor although I have not found one listed. Must also have a ignition module to tell computer RPMS. In my opinion this setup has too many points of failure. As far as I can see the reservoir has water circulating through it to keep the fuel cool. Is that it?s main purpose or is there something more to it? My thought is why couldn't the 2 pumps and reservoir be replaced by one high pressure pump? I think the chances of vapor lock would be really minimal and the risk is lower than the risk of one the components (extra pump, reservoir including a mechanical float and valve) in the OEM setup failing. Am I way off here?? Not really considering the swap, just trying to understand.

Coors

Captain
Re: Craziness - 97 VP 5.7 GSI EFI system

Being an old fart, I stick with a carb, and points, I have spare points on board,and another coil, and can make a mal-functioning carb limp me home.

Last edited:

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Craziness - 97 VP 5.7 GSI EFI system

At a minimum, there has got to be a throttle position sensor although I have not found one listed.

There is. A quick look in my Volvo Fuel System and Electrical & Ignition manuals (which cover all LK engines, mine and yours) lists the following for the 5.7GSI:

ECM: Engine Control Module
MAP: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
TP: Throttle Position Sensor
IAT: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
KS: Knock Sensor
KSM: Knock Sensor Module
IAC: Idle Air Control Valve