Exhaust riser temp?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How hot should the exhaust risers get. I have a 1998 5.0litre with two barrrel carb. Engine temp is right where it is supposed to be according to my manual. Dash guage reads 160-180. manual says that thermostat is fully open at 185 and fully closed at 155. I have an infared Thermometer to check my riser temp. or since the engine temp is ok should I even worry about the riser temp?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Exhaust riser temp?

How hot should the exhaust risers get. I have a 1998 5.0litre with two barrrel carb. Engine temp is right where it is supposed to be according to my manual. Dash guage reads 160-180. manual says that thermostat is fully open at 185 and fully closed at 155. I have an infared Thermometer to check my riser temp. or since the engine temp is ok should I even worry about the riser temp?
Well since you allready have the gun, I would check them just to see where they are at....
Then if you think you have a problem down the road, you will have a bench mark......;)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Basically you should be able to leave your hand on them, i.e. they should not be too hot to touch. But, and IR thermo is a good idea. When I am at operating temp (~150), on the hose, EGT's ~800, intake mani ~130, and risers are ~120-125...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Basically you should be able to leave your hand on them quote]

Yep, and I use a temp gun on mine too. And don't get worried if one is warmer than the other..normal...its from the circulation path of water through the motor