Computer / Modem Problem - RESOLVED

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
My mom (2 hours away) is having problems connecting to the internet for a few days now. She has a Dell PC running Windows XP Home Edition and is using dial up on an internal modem to access the net. She verified telephone and internet service was working and ran through the recommended troubleshooting procedures offered by tech support via telephone. When she attempts to connect she does not hear the modem dialing out like usual. When she goes through the control panel and attempts to open phone and modem she receives an error message indicating a tapi failure of some sort. I've been through Microsoft's site and the references to this error message don't relate to her circumstances. I had her run her antivirus program which didn't find any problems. She also reset the computer to a previous date (sorry - I don't recall the terminology at the moment) and she's restarted the computer several times with negative results.

I'm thinking she has a bad modem, but the fact that she can't open the modem settings via the control panel has me thinking otherwise. Ideas? What have I overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

Turned out to be a software problem. They had a computer tech guy out to the house. After an hour he determined he had to take it to his shop. A day later he brought it back and explained that it was a software problem (driver I would bet based on the advice you guys provided). I'm sure he had a couple of hours, one house call, and one delivery in the job. Total cost: $40.oo

That's small-town living for you.

Last edited:

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Computer / Modem Problem

Try re-installing the drivers for the modem

rwise

Captain

have you had storms? is the modem/phone line on a surge supresor? it is vary common for modems to take a surge if not protected. I would open and look at the modem for parts burned, blown off the card, chips bulged, etc. if nothing is visable with it then put it back in (in and out of the slot a couple of times) and try again, if you have another modem try that as well, but I think (yes it hurts) you are going to have a bad modem.

rogerwa

Commander

Have her go into control panel and double click on the phone and modem icon. Select the modems tab and select the modem that she uses. click properties.

It will pop up another window.. Select diagnostics. Then click on query modem.

If it comes back with a bunch of stuff in the little box, then she is communicating with the modem. This would point to a software problem, such as the dial up client not selecting the right device, etc.. If it comes back with an error, then reload the drivers and try again.

If it still doesn't work and nothing has been changed on the PC, no new hardware or external devices I would look at modem replacement.

That's my .02.

i386

Captain

Have her go into control panel and double click on the phone and modem icon. Select the modems tab and select the modem that she uses. click properties.

It will pop up another window.. Select diagnostics. Then click on query modem.

If it comes back with a bunch of stuff in the little box, then she is communicating with the modem. This would point to a software problem, such as the dial up client not selecting the right device, etc.. If it comes back with an error, then reload the drivers and try again.

If it still doesn't work and nothing has been changed on the PC, no new hardware or external devices I would look at modem replacement.

That's my .02.

Agree 100%

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I appreciate the responses. I'm troubleshooting from 2 hours away and my folks know just enough to turn the computer on and get on the internet so the potential for a solution from here is pretty limited.

We attempted to run diagnostics on the modem via the control panel, then the phone and modem icon - that window fails to open and that's when she receives the tapi error message. I'm thinking this might indicate where the problem lies - hardware or software. This in and of itself must be indicative of one or the other isn't it???

If the modem is shot wouldn't she still be able to open the diagnostic window via the phone and modem icon on the control panel??? This is what makes me think software / driver.

i386

Captain

Even if the diagnostic fails, I'd try uninstalling the device then reinstalling it with new drivers. Most new modems (WinModems), are heavily dependent on software to function at all. If you successfully reinstall the drivers and it still fails the communication test, I'd just get another modem.

Since you're having to do this from far away, I'd get a good name brand modem with the made for Windows XP logo on it. Devices labeled as such are generally much friendlier for the novice to install. Often Windows will recognize these devices and automatically load drivers for the device. But with one caveat; updated drivers from the hardware vendor often work better than the native Windows driver. Cheap, no-name hardware is likely to have a less than forgiving driver install procedure.

That's my $.02. Good luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would remove the modem using the device manager and reboot the machine. It will reinstall all the drivers or ask you to supply your own drivers for the modem.

rwise

Captain

If the modem is shot wouldn't she still be able to open the diagnostic window via the phone and modem icon on the control panel??? This is what makes me think software / driver.

That depends on exactly what is wrong with the modem, the test CAN pass a bad modem. Terry modems are cheap my thought is go buy Mom a modem and drive the 2 hours to go see her, and just hapen to fix her machine while your there ;)

drivers can be corrupted, uninstall modem and reinstall (I would power it down remove modem power up without modem go into device manager and make sure it was removed, (if not remove it) power down and re-install modem power up and install driver/s (from disk) and if it asks if you want to use the old driver "no")

slots in the motherboard can fail, move it to another (if available)

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

OK - lots of good ideas. I was hoping the circumstances would clearly indicate the source of the problem, but in usual voo-doo fashion electricity and electronic devices leave more questions than answers. Looks like there's no shortcutting this one - I'll head up with a new modem ready to go and see if I can get the old one working. If not, I'll install the new one and see what that does.

Thanks again for the help.

Coors

Captain

did the modem come with a floppy, or cd?
if so, kill it and reload drivers.

flagler_beach

Seaman Apprentice

have you had storms? is the modem/phone line on a surge supresor? it is vary common for modems to take a surge if not protected. I would open and look at the modem for parts burned, blown off the card, chips bulged, etc. if nothing is visable with it then put it back in (in and out of the slot a couple of times) and try again, if you have another modem try that as well, but I think (yes it hurts) you are going to have a bad modem.

I'm another who knows just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I recently ordered a DSL self-install kit and everything works. rwise, you asked if the modem was on a surge suppressor. Mine is and works fine but my help section says if you're having connectivity problems, make sure the modem is NOT plugged into a suppressor. Anyone know why?

Coors

Captain

Ruling out a faulty suppressor?

Coors

Captain

Mine go bad every 2 or 3 years- between close lightening, and a colony of real teeny spiders that like to go in them, and commit suicide.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I remember the last time my dial-up modem went out before we got dsl. I saw the flash of light in the next room. I was near enough that I knew about were the flash originated and I tried the dial-up... nothing at all. Has she had any recent storms or dry lighting. Does she have animals at all? Maybe chewed threw a wire inside or outside. Before you go up there have here check with a phone if there is even a dial-tone to the line, and even if she doesn't have animals still have her check there is wild animal out there.

rwise

Captain

I'm another who knows just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I recently ordered a DSL self-install kit and everything works. rwise, you asked if the modem was on a surge suppressor. Mine is and works fine but my help section says if you're having connectivity problems, make sure the modem is NOT plugged into a suppressor. Anyone know why?
anything can fail, if the suppressor has failed removing it lets the rest work.