Best Plugs for an 87 Merc 170

rndcomp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My manual says that I should use AC Delco R42TS plugs in my 87 Merc 170. Does anyone have good or bad experience with these? Are there better ones that I should look at?

Thanks!

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best Plugs for an 87 Merc 170

When it comes to plugs I think all these high tech plugs are just a gimmick. They may last longer than standard as far as platinum or iridium but really, how much do you use a boat compared to your car? Might be a good investment in a car if you don't want to mess with them for a long time. The thing is, in a car they can seize in the alluminum head if left in too long. This is a problem with the FORD truck engines (so I have been told). Shouldn't really go beyond 60K on a plug regardless if they are designed to be changed every 100K. Thats what a mechanic I know tells me. Just my opinion after listening to him and reading up on the subject. If I were you I would go with what the manufacture suggests. Believe me, if a lot of these after market plugs were better, gave you more fuel economy and more power, the auto manufactures would probably be putting them in all their vehicles, boats manufactures as well. I don't see them doing this. If an aftermarket plug company gives you peace of mid with their claims, then I would get them. It won't hurt anything.

Look online and cross reference

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When it comes to plugs I think all these high tech plugs are just a gimmick. They may last longer than standard as far as platinum or iridium but really, how much do you use a boat compared to your car? Might be a good investment in a car if you don't want to mess with them for a long time. The thing is, in a car they can seize in the alluminum head if left in too long. This is a problem with the FORD truck engines (so I have been told). Shouldn't really go beyond 60K on a plug regardless if they are designed to be changed every 100K. Thats what a mechanic I know tells me. Just my opinion after listening to him and reading up on the subject. If I were you I would go with what the manufacture suggests. Believe me, if a lot of these after market plugs were better, gave you more fuel economy and more power, the auto manufactures would probably be putting them in all their vehicles, boats manufactures as well. I don't see them doing this. If an aftermarket plug company gives you peace of mind with their claims, then I would get them. It won't hurt anything.

Look online and cross reference

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree with manipulator. and the brand name isnt important, either. you will find other comparable plugs at a discounted price. i buy the cheap ones and replace every spring while i'm in there. i think it costs me $12 for 4. unnecessary, yes, but they could point you in the direction of other potential problems and finding them sooner is always cheaper.
the important part is gapping and putting the right wire back on the right plug :)

Coors

Captain

The people that designed the engine specify what they like....
The oem manual is always correct.

Last edited: