OB vs. I/O HP translation

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been told (by owners as well as stores) that the 3.0L 135hp engine that comes standard in most 18-19' I/O boats would not be adequate power for water skiing/wakeboarding. If I went with an outboard instead, how many horses would I need to match that 135, and how many more ponies would I want to pay for? As each boat is different (hull design, weight, etc.) would power to weight ratio be a way to judge?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: OB vs. I/O HP translation

The 3.0 is adaquate for skiing but it lacks the "snap" of an outboard and I would equate it to an 80-85 hp outboard. It depends on many factors..... I had an 85 ob on a 15' boat that did great..... that same engine on a 18-19' boat maybe would not have worked. Skill of the driver, the skier, the hull design all factor in.

A v-6 i/o may prove to be the best in all worlds and actually cheaper as compared to an ob. I/O have better economy.

It boils down to personal choice and budget.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i/o are more expensive to maintain over the long run. winterizing, annual out drive service, alignment, bellows, a PIA to change spark plugs, starters. you pick up the fuel economy, but the maintainance burns it up.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Winterize? What's that? (From a naive Californian!)

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey TD, one factor for me is that I know much more about automotive than marine. I wish I had an I/O in many ways, because I can maintain the engine much better than an OB, although I'm learning. But, my boat is a bass boat, because I primarily use it for fishing. Right now, I'm forced to spend $60 - $90 an hour for a real marine mechanic, when I can work on the I/O more myself. Maintenance seems like i'd be less for me if I can do the work myself. Not sure what a PIA is? Hibbert, if you doing wakeboarding, have you considered a real wakeboarding boat like a Mastercraft, Ski Nautique, Malibu to throw that big wake? --Steve

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure what a PIA is? Hibbert, if you doing wakeboarding, have you considered a real wakeboarding boat like a Mastercraft, Ski Nautique, Malibu to throw that big wake? --Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve - I don't wakeboard, myself. Got up on one once, felt it slide all over the place, said to myself "This is of Satan" and threw down the rope! I'll take a slalom ski, any day. But my son, who's now 8, is beginning to think that "extreme" sports are cool. So, I'm preparing for the worst... :)

I can't afford one of the boats you mentioned, not even used. Out here in CA they hold their value. And those wakeboarders play all that loud music and drive like crazy people! - should I trust their maintainance practices? :) (Am I getting old, or what???) No, I'm thinking a more general purpose boat would be good. Currently I have a 15' trihull with a 65hp outboard that works fine, though an extra 15hp would be nice. So I'm figuring that a 17-19 footer will be plenty big enough. But that 4.3L engine costs $3000 more on a new boat!

And I still don't know what PIA is, or if we need to "winterize" out here...

Dave

studlymandingo

Commander

What part of California are you in? As long as you don't get a freeze, you won't need to winterize. PIA = Pain In the *****. If it does freeze where you live (we got below 32 deg here twice this winter for almost two hours!) then you have to flush the I/O and fill with anti freeze or else you will have a broken boat in the spring.

I have owned both I/Os and outboards. I don't intend to purchase another I/O unless I go nuts and buy a 40'er with a diesel when I'm older or something.

The outboard to me is easier to maintain and work on. Many people who have wrenched on cars feel more comfortable working on an I/O because they use essentially a car motor (which doesn't really like boat duty), this was my thought at first until I bought a boat with an outboard, bought a manual for the outboard, and began working on my outboards. The outboard is much easier to get to everything, and I think you get more "bang for the buck".​

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

smd, I've never flushed and filled an I/O. Of course, I'm a marine newby, and have only owned one myself, but maybe has had at least two, and he never did that to my knowledge. We just tuned them up when needed and hit the water! I thought the I/O sterndrive, and motor, drained just like an OB when you pulled it out of the water?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Think TD meant PITA, not PIA. Pain In The A..