Yet another rivet question

Wishin I was Fishin

Seaman Apprentice
I've done some searching here for common rivet sizes. what I have not been able to establish is what size rivets do most alum boats use? 3/16"? 1/4"? I understand the length will vary due to application, however I am trying to establish which tool to buy. Many blind rivet guns will go up to 3/16" but others still (larger) will go larger. Will the 3/16" work for most applications?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Yet another rivet question

Yes, in most applications 3/16 seems to be the most common.

Wishin I was Fishin

Seaman Apprentice

What would the typical grip range be for a rivet connecting the hull alum and the alum. cross-ribs?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get a few 1/2" and a few 3/8" long You can also get backing washers for extra help when you used the long rivets.

You can coat the rivet before you insert it into the hole with 3m5200 and IMO it helps seal it up.

Wishin I was Fishin

Seaman Apprentice

Can the standard pop rivet guns (manual or air) drive the closed end rivets? I see on most ads that they advertise for open end rivets but they don't mention closed end. I'm assuming it will work but wanted to check b-4 purchase.

iwombat

Captain

Yes, closed end blind rivets work in the same tool.

Wishin I was Fishin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all the help seasoned boat fixers are giving on this site. Long live the internet!!!! I can see how fixing older (mid 80's for me) can be addicting. I'm just beginning and I'm already enjoying the process along with the curses and head-scratching. Excercise the mind and body. It's a beautiful thing. then when you are done you can enjoy your labor, much to the dismay of the fishes of Okanogan country!!!!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

When you buy the rivets for the boat do not buy steel mandrels buy either the aluminum or stainless steel mandrels.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Are you looking at a Pneumatic/Hydraulic riveter. Jet makes one that will do the job just fine for about 150.00. It only has 2000lbs of pull so you want to stick with aluminum/aluminum rivets. It will handle up to 3/16 which I've found to be most common. As for rivet length, my tests have shown that a rivet that is intitially at least 1/3 longer than the materials to be bound will give a good strong hold. Fastenal is a good resource for quality rivets.

jlowmiller

Cadet

Are you looking at a Pneumatic/Hydraulic riveter. Jet makes one that will do the job just fine for about 150.00. It only has 2000lbs of pull so you want to stick with aluminum/aluminum rivets. It will handle up to 3/16 which I've found to be most common. As for rivet length, my tests have shown that a rivet that is intitially at least 1/3 longer than the materials to be bound will give a good strong hold. Fastenal is a good resource for quality rivets.

That is exactly what I needed, thank you so much! And you've had relatively positive successes? It's a real possibility that I will have to redo more than half the rivets on the boat.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Having talked to some pretty good custom boat builders, the general concensious is that pop rivets are ok for replacing a couple of rivets when you can't get access to the other side without major decontstruction. That's why the true name for them is a blind rivet.

Needing to replace as many rivets as you state indicates to me that a solid rivet is your best bet and possibly just tightening the ones that are there now might be all that is needed.

The reasoning behind this is that pop or blind rivets do not have the tensil strength of a solid rivet and if your boat is that loose, odds are that the pops will begin to loosen after a very short period of time.

Solid rivets are only more difficult because of the deconstruction and the need for another person to hold against the rivet while it is set. It is not difficult to make a good solid rivet hold properly.

There is another method where you would use truss head stainless steel machine screws but that also takes two people and requires deconstruction.

jlowmiller

Cadet

Having talked to some pretty good custom boat builders, the general concensious is that pop rivets are ok for replacing a couple of rivets when you can't get access to the other side without major decontstruction. That's why the true name for them is a blind rivet.

I have a feeling mother nature has already taken care of most of the deconstruction for me.

I think I agree also to use solid rivets whenever possible but I have no previous experience to base that off of, just what I've gathered from pouring through some of these threads. I think I'll invest in the equipment to do closed-end pop threads properly, but I think I'll use solid rivets whenever possible. I'm just scared I won't get them to set right.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm just scared I won't get them to set right.

Ayuh,...

After 1 or 2,... You'll get it,... It Ain't Rocket Science or nothin'.......

Just Beat on 'em till they're Tight...

jlowmiller

Cadet

Ayuh,...

After 1 or 2,... You'll get it,... It Ain't Rocket Science or nothin'.......

Just Beat on 'em till they're Tight...

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Now if the weather would just cooperate long enough for me to get started.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Bondo's right, it's not difficult at all. It actually cheaper in the long run. You just get your self an air chisel and chop off the chisle end of the bit so it's just a round flat tip. Get a piece of 3/8 round stock and grind a cup in it the end of it and then you and a buddy start setting rivets.

You'll be suprised at how fast it goes. The key to success is to take an old one out and put a new one in. Don't take a bunch out then fight getting them to line up. Yes, that's the voice of experience. LOL. A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.