freeze plug/head removal 1956 Fleetwin 7.5hp

cpw

Recruit
Hi guys:
Just scored a nice Fleetwin 7.5 w/ original tank. It runs well but was gushing water out of the cowling as the lower freeze plug on the head was dislodged.
I removed the cylinder head cuz it looked easier than removing the power head (not sure if this is really the case or not but the head was easy enough to get off). I was able to get the freeze plug though I had to order the head gasket.
Here are the questions:
1)What is proper cylinder head torque and tightening pattern?
2) What sort of locktite should be used? (it looked like red had been used previously).
3) I'll clean up the combustion chambers and piston tops while it's apart but any other "to dos" before it goes back together?
Thanks in advance,
=CPW=
(Outboard Rookie)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: freeze plug/head removal 1956 Fleetwin 7.5hp

My book says 60-84 inch pounds for the torque on the head. Standard cross pattern is what I use.

You also might want to consider changing the coils and impeller and putting a carb kit in it to keep it running for a long time:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hate to tell you this, but you didn't have to pull the head. All you had to do was remove the lower rear pan. But it's too late now.

What Loctite? If anything was used on the head bolts, it would be some gasket sealant.

wbeaton

Commander

Maybe someone used gasket sealer or silicone on the head gasket. I wouldn't use lockite. The torque sequence is circular. Its hard to explain, but simple to do. Start by tightening the middle bolts and work your way to the outer bolts in a spiral pattern. I'm sure someone can give you a better description otherwise I'll post a diagram later. Only torque the bolts to half torque on the first pass and then do it again to full torque. And don't get to over zealous removing carbon inside the cylinder.

cpw

Recruit

Hate to tell you this, but you didn't have to pull the head. All you had to do was remove the lower rear pan. But it's too late now.

What Loctite? If anything was used on the head bolts, it would be some gasket sealant.

Yeah, I kinda figured there may have been an easier way but that's what happens when you're flyin' blind w/ out the manual.
Gasket sealant, huh? Hmm. Sure looked like locktite. Should I just blow the holes out w/ compressed air, wire brush the threads on the bolts and put it back together dry or use some sort of sealant or oil to help get the torque to read more accurately?
Sorry but I'm really not that experienced w/ this sorta thing.
Thx again for responses.
CPW

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The older oem books only say "install head using a new gasket". Newer oem books say to use OMC gasket sealer on the new gasket. (yeah, I know, some gaskets are pre-coated, but I doubt your 7.5 is)

Personally, if the threads are coated with old sealer, I would wire brush them and also run a tap in the holes to clean them out. Then lightly coat the gasket with OMC/BRP Gasket Sealer and put some on the screws too. Use an inch/pound torque wrench for accurate torques. I really like that OMC Gasket Sealer, but realizing you probably don't have any, the liquid Permatex is about as close as you'll come. Unless you have some Perfect Seal #4.

cpw

Recruit

I'm sure someone can give you a better description otherwise I'll post a diagram later.
A diagram would be slick if you have the time. I should have the gasket by tomorrow or Friday. Thx.
CPW

cpw

Recruit

Very cool. THank you.
Any other opinions on the gasket sealer and whether it's really necessary on the head gasket? I dunno if I'll have time to get the right stuff or not.
How about Gasgacinch?
CPW

Skywatch

Cadet

Hi folks: I have a similar problem so I don't think this classifies as hijacking the thread. I have a 56 or so Evinrude Fleetwin that I have decided to rehab. It has pretty low hrs. as it sat in a garage for years. I purchased it and used it on my small lake boat for a year or so then relegated it to the garage for 15 years. Now the water pump does not work. Any tips on replacement and where I can get the part(s)? I think NAPA used to carry them. If anyone has a drawing or pics or just plainadvise, it would be greatly used and respected.

Bank Shot
CaryCraft 19
140 Johnson "Looper"

Skywatch

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up on the availability of the impeller. Any advice on how the thing goes in...anybody have pics etc.?

Again, thanks for the help.

Bank Shot
1970 CaryCraft 19'
140 Johnson "Looper"

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to remove the power head to remove the lower unit to replace te impeller.
You really should start a new post about a water pump, might get more responces.