Speeditwin Shut off switch

kteach27

Recruit
I have an Evinrude Speeditwin Outboard believed to be 1962. I need to install a kill/shut off switch. Can anyone tell me where the wires go? I do not have a wiring diagram. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Speeditwin Shut off switch

Welcome to iboats.

Typically, on older magneto ignition motors, run 2 wires, one from each point set down through the armature plate to a normally open switch. When the switch is thrown, both ignition point sets are grounded through each other killing the spark to the plugs. Use crimp-on ring terminal ends at the point sets and a rubber grommet through the armature plate to prevent shorting. Stranded wire is a must in this application as it has to flex with the motion of the armature plate.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The diagram for that motor shows it as already having the wires. Look for two black wires coming out from under the magneto plate. One will be going to the center terminal on the vacuum cut-out switch. The other is probably just dangling since it is not hooked up.

One wire from your kill switch connects to the dangling? wire and the other wire from your kill switch goes to the center terminal on the vacuum cut-out switch. In other words, there will be two wires on the vac switch...the one from the magneto, and the one that you are adding for your kill switch. Don't just leave the wires off the vac sw.

kteach27

Recruit

Thanks guys. The wires were there. I hooked them up to a switch and it worked perfectly.