Alpha I Gen II Impeller Face seal

pete636ua

Cadet
Took my drives apart - found the impeller face seal about 1/2" from the top of the housing. These pumps have less than 10 hours on them. When I put them in early spring I followed merc manual 14 and pulled up on the vertical shaft while using the tool to press the seal down to the housing.

What would cause the seal to lift like it did??

What are the effects when the seal is that far above the housing?

Thanks
Pete

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha I Gen II Impeller Face seal

If it's still running above normal temp there could be a restriction somewhere causing water pressure to blow by the impeller and out the top of the housing. Just a WAG.....

pete636ua

Cadet

If it's still running above normal temp there could be a restriction somewhere causing water pressure to blow by the impeller and out the top of the housing. Just a WAG.....

One motor never ran over temp and the other did but only at WOT ??

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Over heating at WOT could be a restriction in the riser outlets. Either where the risers bolt to the manifolds or the outlet side of the risers.

pete636ua

Cadet

Have pulled the risers - they are clear - no restrictions at either point....not sure what to do from here :( ????

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

What was he condition of the impellers you removed? If they/it had pieces missing did you find/locate the missing pieces?