Help starting a 60 hp Chrysler

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really would like too see if the chrysler 60hp thats on my new project will start or ar least turn over.
The motor was redone and the owner put it on the boat and let it set. So here are my questions.

1) What type and where do I add oil to the motor?
2) I was given a 12 gallon flat tank woth a fitting on it. There is a long fuel line from the motor the old onner said the fitting needs to be chanhed Any idea what type of fitting I would need . When I looked at Iboats they are soldout of fitting for the chrysler.

Thanks for any help....

I am ordering a book on the motor today.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help starting a 60 hp Chrysler

oil is added to gasoline at the rate of 1 to 50 or 1 pint to six gallons gas (48 to 1). You don't need to stay with Chrysler fuel fittings. You can use any brand. The only caveat is to use mating fittings on the tank and fuel line. Female on fuel line, male on tank. If you don't intend the tank to be portable, use a brass barbed fitting on the tank, push the fuel line onto it and clamp it.

Good luck! When running, that 60 is a sweet engine. Read several other posts here about that series engine.

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Frank for the reply. Here is my next question. there is a fitting on the end of the line do you think I can just cut it off and put a fitting to go to the tank. The fuel line is about 6 feet long.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sure you can cut it off. The fuel line will be either 5/16 or 3/8 internal diameter. Just cut back far enough so you miss the end of the fitting. If it is a factory crimped on connection, cut about 1/2 inch past the crimped metal. To salvage the fitting you can get some sort of file or cutters; Dremel cutting wheels work well. Cut the crimp and remove the stub of fuel line. The fitting is reuseable on anothe hose now. I like to secure the hose with plastic cable ties; they are easy to remove if you want to change the fitting or hose.