Props sense rotation issue...

David125

Recruit
Hello there
My boat has 2 Ford 2704 ET diesel engines. The bad thing is that the 2 propellers has the same sense of rotation, and the boat runs going to right. It possibile to find an "inverter" (I don't know the exact term) to make one of two props runs in the opposite sense?
they are a bit old engines, and I don't know who can I ask...

thank you for the attention!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Props sense rotation issue...

The usual way its done is with a counter-rotation engine. In other words one engine runs clockwise and the other runs counter-clockwise. You would then need both RH and LH rotation props. If your engines both run the same direction, that conversion is not practical, nor is there an inexpensive way to reverse rotation on the one engine. Live with what you have.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both engines on my fathers boat run the same way, and with the help of electric trim tabs he has no problem keeping the boat level. Is that your problem?

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is your boat an inboard outboard or straight inboard. Now days a lot of the reverse rotation of the propeller is done in the clutch. I had two Detroit Diesels turning the same way and changed prop rotation through a Twin Disc 502 clutch. Problem is not all clutches can be run at full load in both directions. Check what you have it may just be a matter of changing the control linkage to one clutch and a new opposite rotatin prop.