Need a lil help with an 82 Evinrude 7.5hp

Got an issue I can't figure out, hoping ya'll might be able to help me. OK here we go. Bought 82 7.5hp used took it out on the water to test her out and ran great for about a minute and then went to crap. At first it wet fouled plugs, too easy I was running 32:1 fixed that to 50:1 seemed to do all right until it started carbon fouling plugs. I rebuilt fuel pump, carburater 2X tried new spark plugs. My issue isn't starting or idling. When I wanna go fast it won't hardly gain RPM's, it's sometimes want's to to run better but still not what it's capable of. I have just recently noticed if I disconnect fuel line it runs like a banshee on that last lil bit. That leads me to running rich but that would conflict with the carbon fouled plugs, if I were running rich wouldn't they be wet. I have drained fuel tank, tried new fuel line an bulb, got new 93 octane in the tank at 50:1 it's just not addin up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh got spark too just haven't done a compression test. I stop with that.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a lil help with an 82 Evinrude 7.5hp

I think you probably have too much boat and not enuf motor. I have a 16 ft side consul Lund (with livewell, floor etc = heavy) with a 1990 20 Johnson...if I am alone in the boat it will rev up and plane the boat, running about 18ish mph...however if I have any passengers at all it can't get on top of the water, consequently it pushs the water (planing hull vs displacement hull) and won't get above 2100 rpms....it doesn't matter how much throttle I give it after 2100 rpm it just makes more noise and burns more gas, but won't go any faster so I throttle back to about 1/2 throttle and live with the 2100 rpm and try not to be in a hurry with any passengers.
You may be in the same situation...the cure is more motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

link & sinc.

tfbrown, the boat literaly jumped out of the water the first time I used this engine. I was by myself and my boat doesn't weigh that much at all. I recently put a hydrofoil thinking the same thing you mention( too much boat not enough engine) I definitely noticed a difference. The first time I took the boat out with this engine I had my gps running and I planed out and got to 15mph before she bogged down and I've been broken hearted since. My boat is a 14ft Meyer aluminum Semi-V

Tashasdaddy, what is link and sinc.

tashasdaddy

you need a manual, it is the adjustments that coordinate the electrical spark and spark advance, with the operation of the carb. proper gas/oil/air with proper spark, makes a proper running engine.

tashasdaddy, you think this is my problem, I'm good with a wrench but have never heard of link and sinc, sounds like my problem though, would that explain the first time out turning to crap and going from wet fouled to carbon fouled plugs

tashasdaddy

check your compression, spark, if this motor hasn't been run in a while may need a decarb. and if any one has tinkered the linc n sinc could be out.

tashasdaddy, spark is good, I haven't checked compression yet, I have defenitely been tinkering with this engine, between 2 carb rebuilds and a fuel pump rebuild I'm sure I may have screwed up link and sinc. How do you explain when I disconnect fuel line the engine runs like nothings wrong with it. Is it because I'm not manipulating it by the tiller handle and the carb is doing it's best due to no more fuel being crammed down it's throat, being I've probably no linked and sinced. Thanks for your input it has brought new light to the subject of tossing this motor in the river.

Anybody else gotta clue as to what might be going on here aside from link and sinc issues. Does this explain my fouling plugs like every time I put it on the water.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have re-read the initial post and subsequent replies and agree whole heartedly with T-Daddy...I believe that a link and sync in in order. The procedure will be specific to your engine...but...will involve adjusting a screw on a lever attached to the carb that has a small plastic wheel on it, that wheel must just contact and begin to move the throttle plate in the carb (by the smallest amount) when it hits an index mark on the timer plate...
not a great explanation but others can explain it better...its not hard but is imperative to getting the engine running properly.
If you messed with it at any time then it must be properly reset.

iwombat

Captain

I would also be checking your hoses. If you have an air leak, disconnecting the hose would remove it, and might have you running normally for that last bit of fuel.

I just got the manual for my engine, I've read the procedure for link and sinc. I also read a portion of the carb rebuild I may have missed leme know if this may affect what's going on with my engine. The float drop needs to be adjusted to 1 1/8-1 1/2 inch. I noticed when I made sure that my float was even with the carb body i had to bend the arm a little but the tang seemed to catch not allowing the float to drop. I didn't think anything of it so I didn't mess with the tang to allow proper drop. I think this may be affecting the amount of fuel actually getting into my bowl. My link and sinc seems to be correct but I plan on doing the procedure anyways to verify. I've tried 2 different hose and bulb combos and I realy didn't notice any difference until I unhooked the fuel line all together. Leme know if I'm gettin close I loved the way this motor ran when I first took it out i want it back. Thanks for all of your responses.