OMC trim broke.... Please help!

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went out this weekend hopeing to have a fun time with the boat after messing witht the shifter all week i finally got it working. Well i got to the lake yesterday, and the trim would not work. It had been working all week no problems. I checked all the fuses, and minus a couple corroded wires there was nothing else visually wrong.The solenoids were clicking for while, but then the up stopped. I even unplugged the pump motor, and tried to touch it directly to the battery(black to ground, and either blue or green to pos.) Nothing happened. What could be my problem? I've had this boat for about a month and have yet to go out on it for a full day with no problems.

Thanks,

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC trim broke.... Please help!

i would first start bye swaping the up to down down to up seloniods. see if it works in eighter direction that way..if nothing..there should be 2 wires coming from the motor.+ and - what i did was spice into them and run a direct wire to the battery..if that dont kick that motor into operation. its no good. now you have narrowed it down to the selonoids. if nothing there. my next step would be the trim switch itself..test if for power with your electrical tester see if your getting anything out of it...this should solve all your questions.. a 12volt motor is a simple unit.there are brushes in there if you choose to go that route. but finding them may be close to impossible if its a older model motor. let me know what ya find out.i think we got it narrowed down.

whywhyzed

Banned

I even unplugged the pump motor, and tried to touch it directly to the battery(black to ground, and either blue or green to pos.) Nothing happened.

you have an open circuit in the motor then - could be bad brushes in the motor - try rapping it on the side with a wrench.... if that fixes it - it will fail again - you need to replace or rebuild the motor.
However if the solenoids stopped clicking, you have another problem as well.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, i did hook the motor directly to the battery if i did it right? (black to neg. blue or green to pos.)??? Nothing happened. I was in the water, and didn't think about tapping the motor but i should have. I'll try that tonight to see if i can get er going. Both solenoids were clicking till i tried it about 100 times then one quit so i probably made it go bad. No biggie, i just want to get that motor going.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, so i tapped on the motor yesterday, and got it working. I guess the motor is starting to go bad, I'm going to order a new one and use the old one for now. I'll just keep the new one on the boat incase the old one goes while i'm out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'll just keep the new one on the boat incase the old one goes while i'm out.

You might as well be carrying around a sack of lead shot unless you clean the motor up inside. You could take it to a local alternator/starter shop and have them do it for small sum. That way you'd have something that worked if you need it. They can also check the armature and fields to make sure they are good.

If you keep it in the boat, vacumm bag it. Chances are that it is all gummed up from condensation. If you just throw it under the seat, in a side pocket, up under the front deck, it will still sweat again.