Trying to start older Johnson 9.7

Duane1

Cadet
I bought a small old boat this past winter. I am having troubles getting it to run. I changed the gas in the tank (which is also old) cleaned the carb with cleaner. I can get it to start with starting fluid but cant seen to keep it going. I am getting gas thru the line and into the carb. Any suggestions on what to try next?

thanks
Duane

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trying to start older Johnson 9.7

1st never starting fluid on a 2 stroke, take some premixed gas in a spray or squeeze bottle. when you cleaned the carb did you remove the jets and float valve seat, and reassemble with a rebuild kit. if not you wasted your time. pump bulb till hard, neutral throttle all the way to start, choke out, 3 good pulls, repump, 2 pulls, no start, push i choke. it should be near flooded by now. have you check your spark. blue jump a 1/2 in gap.

wbeaton

Commander

What's the year and model number of your motor? Is this a 1940's motor or did you mean 9.5 or 9.9? Either way, model number would help.

Please don't use starting fluid. You may destroy your motor. Put some premix in a spray bottle and use it instead.

Did you actually rebuild the carb or just spray carb cleaner in it?

Your spark is good?

Duane1

Cadet

I only sprayed carb cleaner in it. It will run for around 5 seconds or so then dies. Seems its not getting any gas. I did pump the bulb until hard. Ill get some clean gas and try the spray. Is it possible that the gas Im using may still be bad? I did flush the old can as good as I could but it still may have contain some build up? It is getting spark.

thanks

Duane1

Cadet

Not sure of the model. I actually thinl it's a 9.9. Light boue with off white cover

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Don't spray carb cleaner into the throat, it's not meant to burn and it'll wash away all the oil and lube that's in the engine. Post the model # as I don't think they ever made a 9.7. Use a bottle of pre mix as already mentioned. And if that's the only way that it will run then a carb cleaning and kit are due.

wbeaton

Commander

That's what I figured. They did make a 9.7, but that was 60 years ago.

Spraying carb cleaner in it won't do anything. If you suspect the gas is old try some fresh stuff. If no change then rebuild the carb. The 9.9 carb is very easy to rebuild.

Duane1

Cadet

Ill try my luck at it again today. I can also post the model number. Is it ok to rest it in a 5 gal bucket? I did check on a carb kit. Pretty cheep. I thought I would try to disconnect the bulb from the tank and get it out of a clean container to see if it is possibly the old gas tank. I had the same expierence on a weed trimmer.

thanks for the advice
Duane

Duane1

Cadet

Just ran outside. It's an MQ 14D. 9 1/2 horse
thanks