fuel in the oil?

dport

Recruit
I have a Nissan 25hp 4 stroke EFI, and without looking I think it is a 2002. I purchased it used last year and this will be my first full season with it. I believe it has seen a good deal of sitting until late last year. The previous owner said he was the original owner and claimed he had less than 40 hours on the engine. I have replaced the water pump, the lower gear box oil(last year and this year), spark plugs, fuel filter, and I changed out the oil last year when I first got it, but I had not yet changed the oil this year. I had put about 20 hours on it last year, and was going to change after another 20 hours.

So I went to check my oil before I set out for the first time this season. (I know, I know, I'm very late.)

I took the dipstick out the oil started gushing out. As I was cleaning up the mess I noticed the oil had a strong smell of gasoline. I had never noticed that before, and while I'm an outboard newbie, I know that that's not good for a 4 stroke engine. But, I checked the smell of new oil just to make sure it wasn't a smell characteristic of the oil itself. It wasn't. So I drained the oil, figuring at the very least that I'll need to change the oil.

Is there a most likely cause for something like this? Are there any known issues? I can't think of any common areas for fuel an oil other than where the fuel pump mounts. Any ideas?

Thanks!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: fuel in the oil?

The first year for EFI is 2007 so........I'm sure you have a carburetored model. Fuel in the oil is common on all, four-stroke brands andmodels to some degree, depending on the environment and usage. Change the oil every 50 hours and don't worry about it.

Skinnywater

Commander

The first year for EFI is 2007 so........I'm sure you have a carburetored model. Fuel in the oil is common on all, four-stroke brands andmodels to some degree, depending on the environment and usage. Change the oil every 50 hours and don't worry about it.

"Oil gushing out the dipstick tube" is common?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

How would gas fill the crank case? Stuck floats? Bad pump? Bad valves? Sounds like it was under pressure too. Was too much oil put in when you changed it last?

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

As the guru said, it's actually very common in today's 4-stroke outboards, regardless of brand. You see it more when people are using their motors at slow speeds for long periods of time because the engine does heat up enough to get the rings to seat which allows the gas to pass the rings and get into the oil pan.

It's so common in fact that the industry developed a new oil just for outboards called FC-W oil (four-cycle, watercooled). The new oil doesn't solve the problem, but rather it helps reduce the effect of the gas in the oil. The biggest problem of getting the gas in the oil is that it reduces the viscosity of the oil. The FC-W rated oils minimize that reduction of viscosity through various additives. So bottom line is, if you do a lot of slow speed cruising/trolling, you'll need to change your oil more often and use an FC-W rated outboard oil (instead of a car oil).

Or go faster... :)

dport

Recruit

You're right it is a carb model. My mistake.

Thanks all.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Well now, that makes sense. It seems they would reccomend a hotter plug or a warmer thermostat rather than develop a new oil. I have a 25 Honda on my pontoon and do a lot more "putting" than going fast (relative term for 13mph wot). I haven't "made" oil yet with it.

dport

Recruit

How would gas fill the crank case? Stuck floats? Bad pump? Bad valves? Sounds like it was under pressure too. Was too much oil put in when you changed it last?
I didn't overfill it. I'm very paranoid and thus careful about these things.

Under pressure? I would say it was consistent with it being overfilled to the point that the dipstick was below the oil level.

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure this applies to your issue, but maybe check your fuel pump diaphragm. I lost a BF100 years ago, because this diaphragm broke and LOTS of fuel suddenly mixed into the oil.
Best wishes!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like the entire block would have to be full to "gush" out. Wouldn't that make it hard to crank over?

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

came across an interesting article that was written back when FC-W was still under consideration / development (below was copied/pasted from the website):
------------
According to NMMA's Schultz, some issues need to be addressed before official licensing begins. "First, is the problem of viscosity dilution," he says. "Four stroke outboard engines often have long periods of idle, and in cooler water the oil tends to accumulate enough fuel which then dilutes the viscosity and may lead to excess wear unless the additive package is fortified with extra surface active ingredients, like ZDDP, which contains phosphorous and zinc. In cars, the operating temperature is high enough, around 220 degrees Fahrenheit, to 'cook off' the fuel but in marine engines the operating temperature is between 120 and 145 and at that temperature the fuel does not get vaporized as easily.

"Automotive additive packages in API SJ oils, which is the category currently recommended for most of today's marine four stroke engines, can handle the oil dilution issue. But with substantial reductions in the percentage of ZDDP in future automotive engine oil categories under active consideration by the auto industry, marine applications may be placed at risk," says Schultz.

"And we can't simply increase the thermostat temperature because that will cause the second problem," continues Schultz. "At about 160 degrees F. salt water starts to recrystalize inside the cooling system and begins to form stalactites and stalagmites and impede the flow of coolant. Some ingenious technological solutions have been devised, such as rerouting the oil through engine hot spots to give it the ability to shed fuel. But cooling system problems can be a major issue."
-------------
And now you know why they don't put hotter t-stats in the motors. Every action causes a reaction :)

If you want to read the full article, I found it here:
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/future_of_two_stroke_four_stroke_outboardmotors.htm

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm..never thought about saltwater..I live and breathe in Michigan. I just put synthetic oil in my 2004 Honda..now I have to try and find the one for marine use? I'll just make sure I go wot all the time...

dport

Recruit

I'm not sure this applies to your issue, but maybe check your fuel pump diaphragm. I lost a BF100 years ago, because this diaphragm broke and LOTS of fuel suddenly mixed into the oil.
Best wishes!

I had thought about replacing the fuel pump just in case.

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

I'd encourage you to just visually check the diaphragm. If it's cracked, this could be the cause to your problem. If you have a shop manual, it will be pretty simple for you to perform the task.
Good luck!