outdrive stuck up ???

searay rob

Cadet
I have a 87 3.0l mercruiser with a alpha gen 1 outdrive, The other day i put it up when leaving the water and now it wont go back down, I can here everything trying to work and the pump motor is trying to turn but it wont do it, If I watch my volt gage it will go from 11.5 to 9.2 volts when i hit the down button so I know it is trying, Any help would be great. Thanks to all iboats people for your help.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: outdrive stuck up ???

You can probably break the hydraulic lines loose under the drive and let it bleed down some. Just an inch or so, then try it with the switch. If it works now you may have a problem with the valving in the pump.

searay rob

Cadet

I tried that, I took the lines loose at the rams and let about 1 oz of fluid out between both of them. The outdrive went down about 1/4 inch so I know I took the pressure off of it but it still does the same thing. Help, I am going out on the water for the 4th and dont have time to get and repace pump befor then. Any quick temp fix would be great.

searay rob

Cadet

i want to thank everyone who has helped me in the past with problems, and give an update to this problem that may help others, I removed the pump assembly from the boat and removed the motor from the pump to see if the motor was working, after removing i found that there is a small 1/2 inch piece of sloted metal the connects the to together and it had broke and jamed up the motor, i went to the local boat store and they told me five days and 38.00 bucks for a 2.00 part. I went to local hardware store and got a 3/8 piece of round metal rod that i cut down and ground two slots into, installed back into pump and tested, Works great. cost me a total of 1.60 to repair. Hope this helps if anyone has the same problem.