evinrude 6hp leaking oil...

crotter

Cadet
Greetings,

my '67 evinrude fisherman 6hp seems to be leaking lower unit oil from the exhaust opening above the prop. It leaks a few drops a day. Is this normal? I keep my motor stored in my garage like this:

67evinrude1.jpg

Notice the oil spots under the propeller exhaust.

Is the oil leaking through a bad seal, or is the engine leaking oil because of being stored in that position?

Thanks,

CHRISTIAN

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: evinrude 6hp leaking oil...

Looks like its unburned oil from the premix... have you checked the oil in the foot lately?

crotter

Cadet

yea I drained the lower unit oil and refilled it with some fresh oil a few days ago. I dont think that it is unburned fuel/oil though cause it still leaks even after it hasnt been run in a few days, and the oil seems to be the same color/ consistency as the lower unit stuff...:confused:

For example, I ran the engine for a couple hours on Friday, now its Sunday night, and it still seems to be dripping oil.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It's usually unburnt oil that's still inside the housing. But the only way to be sure is to replace the lower unit oil regularly and see if there's any water in it. If it's milky you have lower seal issues, if it's the same dark color, then no worries.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The oil on the floor looks lighter and cleaner than most unburned fuel and oil, but it's hard to tell in a pic. You said it was still leaking after a day or two so you thought it needed to be L/U oil, the unburned fuel can leak out for months after it's been run, so you can't rule it out for that reason. If it smells terrible it's from the L/U.

crotter

Cadet

thanks for all the replies!

The oil didnt smell bad, so maybe it is unburnt oil afterall... Im sort of confused, as I have never had an outboard that leaked like that before. Anyways, I guess I will end up draining the lower unit oil again in a couple weeks and check to see if any water has seeped in.

I appreciate all the advice! :)

CHRISTIAN