88 85hp Force Won't Start but Turns

vrockz

Cadet
1988 85 hp Force outboard won't start. It turns over, battery's charged, always new plugs. If I keep trying to start it several times, occasionally it starts for a couple seconds but just dies. changed starter and battery within last 1-2 yrs. Has history of being difficult to start first time out in season, like it was yesterday.
Once I get it going and run it, ends up OK and starts after that. Last year this happened mid-season, read some of the manual (anyone know where I can download a free repair manual for this?), adjusted settings, eventually got it going and it was OK rest of season.
Now back to drawing board, tried to get it going first time out yesterday, same story. Put dry gas in. It turns, thought it was going to start and stay running couple times after it started for that second or 2, but motor will just not start. Probably try carb cleaner/additive today, about ready to give up on this thing after all these years-no marinas open here today, any suggestions? Thanks.

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 85hp Force Won't Start but Turns

(anyone know where I can download a free repair manual for this?),

I looked and looked online and never found one. I ended up buying a clymer repair manual for $26. Well worth the price. They did have the manual at the library but wouldn't let me check it out, just read it and copy pages at the library.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Advance the throttle all the way open and open the choke and spray some fogging oil or gas pre mix into the carb. Put motor back in neutral and try and start it. If it fires then dies chances are your not getting gas and probably needs the carbs cleaned. If still a no go remove the plugs and check for flooding. Let motor sit overnight with no plugs in then squirt a little gas in each cylinder, replace the plugs and manually open the choke with the throttle at its lowest setting and try again. Please post your model number. Some motors have a fuel enrichment and others just have a choke. If motor starts this time chances are you are flooding and will have to look into why this is happening.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Are you priming the carbs with the fuel bulb the first time you start it?
Are you disengaging the shift mechanism and putting it in fast idle position for the first start? These engines are notoriously hard to start the first time unless you use the fast idle/warm-up position

vrockz

Cadet

I did use the fuel bulb. I've tried putting the throttle forward, that had worked many times in the past. I didn't try gas premix or fogging oil.
Starter's fried so a new one plus a rebuild kit for this one's on the way. Also ordered a headgasket. Figure while it's apart and waiting for parts, I"ll see if I can clean the carbs too. I also didn't find a repair manual online so thanks for the $26 and library tips.
The Model # is 858f8b. Any suggestions are helpful, thank you, --sounds like you're familiar with this situation & have some good insight.

vrockz

Cadet

I did the starter rebuild kit, changed head gasket, drained all the old gas out and put in new gas, cleaned the carbs, fuel filter/pump rebuild kit, etc. I got it going today (what a relief!) but have another question.

For the battery,I had a Sears deep-cycle in it but didn't think it was holding a charge. It's 1 year old but Sears says it's still good according to their tester, but I also have a Duralast starting battery. Which do you think is better for this and why?

Thanks.
V

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Generally speaking a starting battery is best as it is designed to give up a blast of power for starting. CCA is usaually higher than a deep cycle.Though some deep cycles do have excellent CCA ratings.
In my opinion you couldn't tell the difference in performance on a properly operating motor.Get some decarb treatment and run it all the time as described in the directions.
While you are at it check all the battery connections for clean and tight.Don't forget the grounds.After cranking check the cable ends for heat
Excesive heat would indicate possible cable breakdown.