What is the proper angle to have boat attached to hitch?

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone.
I have a 32' class A motor home with a 5000lb rated hitch. (my boat is 4400lb)
I need to buy a drop hitch as the receiver on the RV is 3 feet off the ground.
What is the proper angle the boat should be at while connected to the RV?
Is there a way to find optimum angle? My first thought is to raise the trailer till the tongue weight is around 3-500lbs?
My father in-law said he likes all his trailers at about 19" but there are to many variables to just get a hitch that is 19" off the ground.
Any tips, tricks?
Thanks in advance for your insight:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is the proper angle to have boat attached to hitch?

The trailer should be level. Not tongue down or tongue up. An inch or so either way won't hurt. How high the tongue is to achieve a level trailer depends on the size tires on the trailer, trailer design, underslung or overslung axle, etc.,

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Silvertip on this. Level is the way to go however you have to do it.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

That puts my trailer at 12" from tongue to ground..
I have it that way on my truck and it scrapes the ground when encountering dips...
My boat also slants down (a tad) at that height???:confused:
My tires fill out my wheel wells, so I can't go bigger on the tire. I guess I could flip the axle if it's a problem????
This is a EZ-Loader single axle matched to my boat from dealer.
Thanks for your responses.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I assume your EZ Loader has a surge brake. The trailer has to be level for the actuator to operate. Flipping the axle isn't going to be an option either. My 3100lb capacity EZ Loader, which most likely is what is under your 18 footer, originally had a spring axle. The springs were attached to the top of the axle. I had the spring axle replaced with a torsion axle, now the axle is bolted directly to the frame, no adjustment. You need to get a draw bar made with enough drop.

Why is the reciever 3 ft above the ground? Most motor homes frames are less then 2 ft above the ground.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Why is the reciever 3 ft above the ground? Most motor homes frames are less then 2 ft above the ground.

A bit of an exaggeration but it does measure 30" high.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What actually bottoms and scrapes RCS ??
Mi EZloader hjas never scraped yet. (except when I was tipping the bow up to make sure the boat drained out completely and destroyed the licence plate. !!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when going thru extreme dips, and changes in levels. if you go directly straight across they have a tendency to scrape. if you go at an angle it helps quite a bit.

soak 'n fused

Seaman

I"m with the others on this. The correct angle is really not the way to determine this. The tongue weight of your trailer should be 10% of the weight of the trailer with the boat. What you are looking for is the right distribution for your vehicle to pull effectively. Too much weight on the tongue and you have too much weight on the back of your tow vehicle which could cause steering instability. The 10% rule is to create the maximum towing power for your vehicle. Only moving the trailer tongue an inch up or down should accomplish that.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are making this way too difficult. Setting tongue height is not a major exercise in mechanical engineering. Park the trailer on level ground. Level it with a tongue jack. Measure from the coupler to the ground. Install a ball mount on the tow vehicle with the appropriate drop to achieve the previously measured dimension (within an inch up or down). No trailer modifications are required. It's the hitch (particularly the ball mount) that needs changing.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a 5000# hitch and a 4400# boat? I hope that includes the trailer weight.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

You have a 5000# hitch and a 4400# boat? I hope that includes the trailer weight.

As well as all gear and fuel, etc. or the maximum on the road weight of boat and trailer.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I took it to the scale today, it weighed in at 3900lbs.(inc trailer,full tank,gear) Not sure where I got the 4400 at..:confused:
Got the hitch, it's a 16" drop.....:eek::eek:
Didn't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill, just wanted things perfect.
Thanks for everyones insight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just curious -- what Class A motor home mfgr puts a receiver 30 inches off the ground?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

One with way too much overhang beyond the rear axle.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

It's an Itasca.
I don't think it was factory as it comes out through the rear bumper. It also has rear air bags and and after market leaf springs.
Had it all checked out at the local RV center and they said it was setup as heavy duty as possible. The only thing limiting me is the frame....hehehe:cool:

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

The owners manual for my brake accuator says anywhere between 17" - 21" from the ground to the top of the ball on your drawbar. This setup will give you the best performance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Mounting the hitch 30 inches off the ground because of too much rear overhang doesn't solve the problem. I've not seen a trailer lately that has a hitch height of 30 inches. In fact most trailers are designed for about 19 inches hitch height which means the MH needs a ball mount with an 11 inch drop. That puts the trailer level and you still have the bottoming problem. Not only that but a drop of 11 inches puts a great deal of longitudinal and horizontal stress at the weld so paying attention to construction is important on a ball mount with that much drop. The real reason the receiver is mounted that high may be that this is a "pusher" and there simply wasn't a frame member any lower to attach it to.

rndn

Commander

30" off the ground is really high.