Starter fails to stay engauged

Morty

Cadet
Well guys, I finally got my boat started by luck.:D

This all happened last sunday when I was on the lake and my wife accidently pulled the kill switch, which in turn sucked water into the engine.

I drained out the water and motored the engine to get rid of all of the water.
On numerous attempts, I finally started the motor.

The problem that I'm having is the starter gear will fail to stay engauged by the solinoid. I took the starter out and had it bench tested, it worked flawlessly. I also tested continuity of the slave solinoid, which worked as well.

Do I need a new starter?:eek:
Any ideas guys?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starter fails to stay engauged

That's good news! Once the starters get that wet, it's only a matter of "when" they will fail and not "if". You may as well go ahead and replace it.

Morty

Cadet

Bjcsc, thanks for the reply.

The engine compartment never got wet. The water enterered through the exhaust maniflod.

Do you think that the solenoid is shot?

Thanks, Morty

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Oh. OK, then it may be OK. Don S. has a great post here for troubleshooting the starting system. Here it is.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Well, it seems as if the diagrams that used to be there did not survive the software changeover...rats...

PS. It would almost have to be the solenoid...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I think it needs a new Bendix. They kick-out as the motor starts. It's kicking-out to easily.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I may not have been clear on the problem. Are you saying the starter engages (turns the flywheel) but lets go too early or are you saying it will not engage the flywheel?

Morty

Cadet

The starter engauges and turns the flywheel and then lets go early. After the first compression stroke it quits.

When I had all of the spark plugs out, The starter would motor as long as I would let it motor. It seems that as soon as there is resistance, it will let go early.

Thanks, Morty

moser42

Seaman

How does water enter when you hit the kill switch, just wondering so i dont do it! haha
thanks.

Coors

Captain

Willy knows; it needs a new bendix- the spring is shot.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

How old is the starter? In my opinion if a starter or alternator needs a repair, they should be replaced with new. It's just to hard to walk home in the event it fails again. Not saying that new parts don't fail but they don't fail as often or as soon as the repaired component.

Bondo

Staff member

In my opinion if a starter or alternator needs a repair, they should be replaced with new.

Ayuh,...........

You need a New Starter..........