super?

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been looking at old brochure pages of early '60's Johnsons-my year,'62-lists the 28 as simply a sea horse-a year or two later they are listed as "super" sea horse....what made the later ones "super"? an ad writer or actual change to design?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: super?

From looking at the brochures, it looks like in '62 the only model was manual start, with elec. start as a separate accessory. In '63, they offered the manual start as well as an elec. start model. Marketing.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I am pretty sure the "Supers" had the silent package - double wall exhaust housing...
- Scott

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From the brochures on the Old OMC site, they both have the same leg. Maybe silencing enhancements up on top.

studlymandingo

Commander
SuperSize Me

SuperSize Me

Maybe they came from the dealer with a red cape; probably fell off while underway years ago!;)

To me, it really sounds like a shot at boosting sales; would you rather have just a plain old sea horse, or would you prefer a "super" sea horse?​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SuperSize Me

Re: SuperSize Me

here's where i read quieter, and somewhere in there it also say lighter. thats the marketing muckmuck. http://www.old-omc.de/j_1958/seite_05.jpg i have the plian old 35 seahorse, the bronze one, they had both in 58. the super seahorse also had a thermostat, the seahorse didn't.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's when and where the difference between the two names came from. as said marketing.

CATransplant

Admiral

Which has what to do with the '62 28-horse in the question?

I think it's because the name Super Seahorse was introduced with that 1958 35hp model. At the time, that model was Super because it also introduced the outer cover, which made it really, really quiet, plus it had a thermostat, which actually did improve performance.

Once they had this new name, it sounds like they tried it out on some other engines.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all-I'm kind of a goofball I guess-I like learning about little trivial things...good thing mine isnt super I guess,as I'd have to find a reproduction red cape !:)